Expressing Vectors of Dual Basis w/Metric Tensor

In summary, the expressions ##\mathbf{e}^i## and ##\mathbf{e}_i## of the dual basis in terms of the vectors ##\mathbf{e}_j## of the original basis through the dual metric tensor ##g^{ij}## can only be true if there is a corresponding isomorphism between ##V## and ##V^*##, called metric duality.
AndersF
TL;DR Summary
Why can we express the dual basis vectors in terms of the original basis vectors through the dual metric tensor in this way? ##\mathbf{e}^i=g^{ij}\mathbf{e}_j##
I'm trying to understand why it is possible to express vectors ##\mathbf{e}^i## of the dual basis in terms of the vectors ##\mathbf{e}_j## of the original basis through the dual metric tensor ##g^{ij}##, and vice versa, in these ways:

##\mathbf{e}^i=g^{ij}\mathbf{e}_j##

##\mathbf{e}_i=g_{ij}\mathbf{e}^j##

What would be the mathematical justification for these expressions?

Physics news on Phys.org
none, because they're not right :smile:

ergospherical said:
none, because they're not right :smile:
Oh, why not? They are written like this in my textbook

Likes vanhees71
well you can tell immediately
AndersF said:
##\mathbf{e}^i=g^{ij}\mathbf{e}_j##
##\mathbf{e}_i=g_{ij}\mathbf{e}^j##
cannot be true, because one side is a dual vector whilst the other side is a vector

to some basis ##\{ \boldsymbol{e}_{i} \}## of ##V## is associated a dual basis ##\{ \boldsymbol{e}^i \}## of ##V^*## defined by ##\langle \boldsymbol{e}^i, \boldsymbol{e}_j \rangle = \delta^i_j##

besides there is also metric duality, which is to say that to any ##\boldsymbol{v} \in V## there is a ##f_{\boldsymbol{g}}(\boldsymbol{v}) := \boldsymbol{\hat{v}} \in V^*## such that ##\langle \hat{\boldsymbol{v}}, \boldsymbol{u} \rangle = \boldsymbol{g}(\boldsymbol{v}, \boldsymbol{u})## for any ##\boldsymbol{u} \in V##. Then $$\hat{v}_i := \langle \hat{\boldsymbol{v}}, \boldsymbol{e}_i \rangle = \boldsymbol{g}(v^j \boldsymbol{e}_j, \boldsymbol{e}_i) = g_{ij} v^j$$which referred to as lowering the index ##j##. (Because ##\boldsymbol{g}## is bilinear and non-degenerate the function ##f_{\mathbf{g}}## is injective and further because ##V## and ##V^*## are both of equal finite dimension, ##f_{\boldsymbol{g}}## is indeed a bijective function.)

n.b. also the metric duals ##\hat{\boldsymbol{e}}_i = f_{\boldsymbol{g}}(\boldsymbol{e}_i)## of the basis elements of ##V## do not coincide with the dual basis elements ##\boldsymbol{e}^i## which is clear because ##\langle \boldsymbol{e}^i, \boldsymbol{e}_j \rangle = \delta^i_j## whilst ##\langle \hat{\boldsymbol{e}}_i, \boldsymbol{e}_j \rangle = \boldsymbol{g}(\boldsymbol{e}_i, \boldsymbol{e}_j) = g_{ij}##

Last edited:
Likes AndersF
Well, yes, but usually in spaces with a fundamental form you identify the vectors and the dual vectors through the canonical mapping ##V \rightarrow V^*## via ##\vec{v} \mapsto L_{\vec{v}}##, where
$$L_{\vec{v}}(\vec{w})=g(\vec{v},\vec{w}).$$
In your notation ##L_{\vec{v}}=\hat{\vec{v}}##.

Then of course ##\hat{e}^i=g^{ij} \hat{e}_j=e^i##. Usually you don't distinguish between ##\hat{e}_i## and ##e_i## anymore. It's somewhat sloppy notation though.

Likes cianfa72, Orodruin and AndersF
Okay, thanks, I see that it was the notation that confused me.

yea but what I mean is that you can't raise and lower the indices attached to the basis vectors with the metric like this "##\boldsymbol{e}^i = g^{ij} \boldsymbol{e}_j##", because then you are equating objects which live in different spaces 😥

Likes AndersF
Well, in principle yes. But if you identify the vectors with their duals via the fundamental form in a pseudo-Euclidean (or Euclidean) vector space as explained by the above introduced corresponding isomorphism it makes sense. E.g., then you get from the above formula
$$\boldsymbol{e}^i(\boldsymbol{e}_k)=g^{ij} \boldsymbol{e}_j(\boldsymbol{e}_k)=g^{ij} g_{jk}=\delta_k^i,$$
as it must be.

BTW the ##g^{ij}## are the contravariant components of the pseudo-metric not the pseudo-metric itself. Of course physicists use simply "metric" for both the pseudo-metric and its (various) components all the time. This confused me a lot when I started to learn the subject, but one gets used to it.

Likes AndersF

1. What is a vector in dual basis?

A vector in dual basis is a mathematical concept that represents a linear function on a vector space. It is a set of coordinates that can be used to describe the magnitude and direction of a vector in a specific basis.

2. How do you express a vector in dual basis?

To express a vector in dual basis, you must first define the basis vectors and metric tensor for the vector space. Then, you can use the metric tensor to find the dual basis vectors, which can be used to express any vector in the dual basis.

3. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object that defines the distance between two points in a vector space. It is used to measure the length and angle of vectors in a specific basis and is a key component in expressing vectors in dual basis.

4. Why is expressing vectors in dual basis important?

Expressing vectors in dual basis allows for easier calculation and manipulation of vectors in a specific basis. It also helps to understand the relationship between different bases and how they can be used to describe the same vector.

5. How is expressing vectors in dual basis used in scientific research?

Expressing vectors in dual basis is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is especially useful in fields that deal with vector spaces, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.