1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing velocity as a function of the distance

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    Hi, I encountered the great difficulty solving the following question.
    (The reason why its is hard is because I have to express the velocity as a function of the distance of the object has traveled in stead of as a function of the time elapsed.)

Starting from rest at t=0, an 8 lb. object is pulled along a surface with a force that is equal to twice the distance (in feet) of the object from its starting point x=0. The coefficient of sliding friction is 1/4.
    The air resistance is numerically equal to one-eight the square of the velocity (in feet/second).
    What is the velocity formula of the object as a function of the distance of the object has traveled?

So, weight = 8lb.
    [tex] m=\frac{8}{32}=\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
    [tex]Air Resistance = \frac{1}{8}v^2[/tex]
    [tex]Friction = \frac-{1}{4}8 = -2[/tex]
    Pulling force = 2x

First I tried to write the velocity formula as a function of the time elapsed. The I got

[tex]\frac{1}{4}*\frac{dv}{dt}=2x - 2-\frac{1}{8}v^2[/tex]
    [tex]2\frac{dv}{dt}=16x - 16-v^2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dv}{v^2+16}=(-8x)dt[/tex]
    Integrate, I had
    [tex]-0.004363tan^-^1(0.25v)=8xt+C[/tex]
    Applying the I.C., v(0)=0
    c = 0
    so, [tex]tan^-^1(0.25v)=\frac{-8xt}{0.004363}[/tex]
    I don't know how to solve this equation for v from here.

Besides, the answer provided for this problem was [tex]v=\sqrt{16x-32+32e^-^x}[/tex]
    which gives me the idea that my approach is off and should be a way to obtain the desired formula without obtaining the formula as a function of time elapsed first...

What is the best way to attack this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2
    Woops

Sorry, somehow I posted the same question twice. Please disregard this and leave your advice in the other one with the same title with (not time elapsed) added.
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?