Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ? Explain

In summary, the expression equivalent to 1+\sec\theta/\cos\theta is \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} and it can be simplified using the property \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} and the identity \sec\theta=\frac{1}{\cos\theta} .
aisha
Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ?? Explain please

How do u find an expression equivalent to [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex] to be [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

When I did this question I got my answer to be [tex] \frac {2} {\cos\theta}[/tex]

Im not very good with identities can someone please explain to me how to do this question and other like it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your steps to getting that? I'll point out where you went wrong.

[tex] \frac {sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta} {\cos \theta} + \frac {\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta} {\cos\theta} (this is over \cos \theta) [/tex]

aisha said:
[tex] \frac {sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta} {\cos \theta} + \frac {\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta} {\cos\theta} (this is over \cos \theta) [/tex]

Forget about [tex] sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta =1 [/tex].

Do the problem again, but this time only use:[tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex] and try to simplify it.

Last edited:
I have gone through so many of these types of questions but I have no idea of how to simplify it, I've looked everywhere for a similar example but just can't find anything, I don't know what to do... :cry: How do u solve these questions that ask for equivalent identities? :redface:

Well, did you take learningphysics' advice? Substitute 1/sec(x) every time you see cos(x) to get the expression in terms of secant, instead of cosine. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

BTW, check back to your thread "please explain". I posted the solution to your previous problem there, since you were very close to understanding it anyway.

Use:
[tex] \sec x =\frac{1}{\cos x} [/tex]

and
[tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

which is an elementary property of fractions.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Use:
[tex] \sec x =\frac{1}{\cos x} [/tex]

and
[tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

which is an elementary property of fractions.

Daniel.

Can u explain how u got this elementary property of fractions, this might be the step I don't remember lol

aisha said:
I have gone through so many of these types of questions but I have no idea of how to simplify it, I've looked everywhere for a similar example but just can't find anything, I don't know what to do... :cry: How do u solve these questions that ask for equivalent identities? :redface:

I plugged in [tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex]

I get:

[tex] \frac {1+\frac{1}{cos\theta}} {\cos\theta} [/tex]

Do something to the numerator and denominator so that you get a cleaner looking expression. Try different things... you can try adding the two terms in the numerator together (get a common denominator etc...)

learningphysics said:
I plugged in [tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex]

I get:

[tex] \frac {1+\frac{1}{cos\theta}} {\cos\theta} [/tex]

Do something to the numerator and denominator so that you get a cleaner looking expression. Try different things... you can try adding the two terms in the numerator together (get a common denominator etc...)

This is exactly where I am stuck!I tried multiplying the numerator and denominator by cos theta, but that didnt work, I took ur advice and I am half way I made the numerators have a common denominator

so I got [tex] 1+\frac{1}{\cos\theta} = \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta} [/tex] This is only the numerator of the question my answer was [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos\theta} [/tex] But this is all over [tex] \cos\theta [/tex] what do u do next? How do you get cos^2theta in the denominator of the answer :yuck: ?

aisha said:
Can u explain how u got this elementary property of fractions, this might be the step I don't remember lol

Try working on the expression dextercioby gave... how can you rewrite the expression... try experimenting...

That 1/a is messy, how can you rewrite the expression so that the 1/a is no longer there?

aisha said:

[tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{\frac{a+1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

Daniel.

aisha said:
This is exactly where I am stuck!I tried multiplying the numerator and denominator by cos theta, but that didnt work, I took ur advice and I am half way I made the numerators have a common denominator

so I got [tex] 1+\frac{1}{\cos\theta} = \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta} [/tex] This is only the numerator of the question my answer was [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos\theta} [/tex] But this is all over [tex] \cos\theta [/tex] what do u do next? How do you get cos^2theta in the denominator of the answer :yuck: ?

Ok. I see where you are stuck now. The whole fraction is:
[tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta}}{\cos\theta} [/tex]

I'll rewrite the numerator, and the fraction becomes:
[tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta}}{cos\theta} [/tex]

Now the denominator of this fraction is [tex]\cos\theta[/tex]

Instead of dividing by [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], I'm going to multiply by:
[tex]\frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

So we have:
[tex]\frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta} * \frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

Multiply the numerators, and multiply the denominators and we get:
[tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1}{\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{(\frac{a}{b})}{c} = \frac{a}{bc}[/tex]

Last edited:
Why not just multiple top and bottom by cos...
[tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex]
[tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta}(\frac{\cos\theta}{\cos\theta}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

because cos*sec =1 = cos*(1/cos) = 1

:eek: WoW I think I get it thanks sooo much everyone, once again u all saved me!

1. What is the expression equivalent to 1+sec/cos?

The expression equivalent to 1+sec/cos is tan + 1. This is because sec/cos is the same as 1/cos, which simplifies to secant. And since tan = sin/cos, 1+sec/cos is the same as 1 + sin/cos, which is equivalent to tan + 1.

2. How is the expression 1+sec/cos derived?

The expression 1+sec/cos is derived from the Pythagorean identity, which states that sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. By dividing both sides by cos^2x, we get 1/cos^2x + 1 = sec^2x. Taking the square root of both sides gives us 1/cos + 1 = sec, which is the same as 1+sec/cos.

3. What does the expression 1+sec/cos represent?

The expression 1+sec/cos represents the tangent function, which is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle. It is often used in trigonometry to find missing sides or angles of a triangle.

4. How can the expression 1+sec/cos be simplified?

The expression 1+sec/cos can be simplified by using the reciprocal identities for secant and cosine. Secant is the reciprocal of cosine, so 1+sec/cos can be written as 1+1/cos. And since 1/cos is the same as secant, this simplifies to 1+secant, or simply tan.

5. What is the significance of the expression 1+sec/cos in mathematics?

The expression 1+sec/cos is significant in mathematics because it is one of the fundamental trigonometric identities. It is derived from the Pythagorean identity and is used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations. It is also an important part of the tangent function, which is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.