1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ? Explain

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ?? Explain plz

How do u find an expression equivalent to [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex] to be [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

When I did this question I got my answer to be [tex] \frac {2} {\cos\theta}[/tex]

Im not very good with identities can someone please explain to me how to do this question and other like it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Can you show your steps to getting that? I'll point out where you went wrong.

4. Feb 3, 2005 #3
    [tex] \frac {sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta} {\cos \theta} + \frac {\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta} {\cos\theta} (this is over \cos \theta) [/tex]

5. Feb 3, 2005 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Forget about [tex] sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta =1 [/tex].

Do the problem again, but this time only use:[tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex] and try to simplify it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  6. Feb 3, 2005 #5
    I have gone through so many of these types of questions but I have no idea of how to simplify it, I've looked everywhere for a similar example but just cant find anything, I dont know what to do... :cry: How do u solve these questions that ask for equivalent identities? :redface:

7. Feb 3, 2005 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, did you take learningphysics' advice? Substitute 1/sec(x) every time you see cos(x) to get the expression in terms of secant, instead of cosine. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

BTW, check back to your thread "plz explain". I posted the solution to your previous problem there, since you were very close to understanding it anyway.

8. Feb 3, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use:
    [tex] \sec x =\frac{1}{\cos x} [/tex]

and
    [tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

which is an elementary property of fractions.

Daniel.

9. Feb 3, 2005 #8
    Can u explain how u got this elementary property of fractions, this might be the step I dont remember lol

10. Feb 3, 2005 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I plugged in [tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex]

I get:

[tex] \frac {1+\frac{1}{cos\theta}} {\cos\theta} [/tex]

Do something to the numerator and denominator so that you get a cleaner looking expression. Try different things... you can try adding the two terms in the numerator together (get a common denominator etc...)

11. Feb 3, 2005 #10
    This is exactly where I am stuck!I tried multiplying the numerator and denominator by cos theta, but that didnt work, I took ur advice and im half way I made the numerators have a common denominator

so I got [tex] 1+\frac{1}{\cos\theta} = \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta} [/tex] This is only the numerator of the question my answer was [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos\theta} [/tex] But this is all over [tex] \cos\theta [/tex] what do u do next? How do you get cos^2theta in the denominator of the answer :yuck: ?

12. Feb 3, 2005 #11

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Try working on the expression dextercioby gave... how can you rewrite the expression... try experimenting...

That 1/a is messy, how can you rewrite the expression so that the 1/a is no longer there?

13. Feb 3, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{\frac{a+1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

Daniel.

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Ok. I see where you are stuck now. The whole fraction is:
    [tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta}}{\cos\theta} [/tex]

I'll rewrite the numerator, and the fraction becomes:
    [tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta}}{cos\theta} [/tex]

Now the denominator of this fraction is [tex]\cos\theta[/tex]

Instead of dividing by [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], I'm going to multiply by:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

So we have:
    [tex]\frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta} * \frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

Multiply the numerators, and multiply the denominators and we get:
    [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1}{\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

15. Feb 4, 2005 #14

learningphysics

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{(\frac{a}{b})}{c} = \frac{a}{bc}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  16. Feb 4, 2005 #15
    Why not just multiple top and bottom by cos....
    [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta}(\frac{\cos\theta}{\cos\theta}) [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

because cos*sec =1 = cos*(1/cos) = 1

17. Feb 4, 2005 #16
    :eek: WoW I think I get it thanks sooo much everyone, once again u all saved me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?