Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ? Explain

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Expression eqivalent to 1+sec/cos ?? Explain plz

How do u find an expression equivalent to [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex] to be [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

When I did this question I got my answer to be [tex] \frac {2} {\cos\theta}[/tex]

Im not very good with identities can someone please explain to me how to do this question and other like it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Can you show your steps to getting that? I'll point out where you went wrong.

4. Feb 3, 2005 #3
    [tex] \frac {sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta} {\cos \theta} + \frac {\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta} {\cos\theta} (this is over \cos \theta) [/tex]

5. Feb 3, 2005 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Forget about [tex] sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta =1 [/tex].

Do the problem again, but this time only use:[tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex] and try to simplify it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  6. Feb 3, 2005 #5
    I have gone through so many of these types of questions but I have no idea of how to simplify it, I've looked everywhere for a similar example but just cant find anything, I dont know what to do... :cry: How do u solve these questions that ask for equivalent identities? :redface:

7. Feb 3, 2005 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, did you take learningphysics' advice? Substitute 1/sec(x) every time you see cos(x) to get the expression in terms of secant, instead of cosine. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

BTW, check back to your thread "plz explain". I posted the solution to your previous problem there, since you were very close to understanding it anyway.

8. Feb 3, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use:
    [tex] \sec x =\frac{1}{\cos x} [/tex]

and
    [tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

which is an elementary property of fractions.

Daniel.

9. Feb 3, 2005 #8
    Can u explain how u got this elementary property of fractions, this might be the step I dont remember lol

10. Feb 3, 2005 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I plugged in [tex]sec\theta=\frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex]

I get:

[tex] \frac {1+\frac{1}{cos\theta}} {\cos\theta} [/tex]

Do something to the numerator and denominator so that you get a cleaner looking expression. Try different things... you can try adding the two terms in the numerator together (get a common denominator etc...)

11. Feb 3, 2005 #10
    This is exactly where I am stuck!I tried multiplying the numerator and denominator by cos theta, but that didnt work, I took ur advice and im half way I made the numerators have a common denominator

so I got [tex] 1+\frac{1}{\cos\theta} = \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta} [/tex] This is only the numerator of the question my answer was [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos\theta} [/tex] But this is all over [tex] \cos\theta [/tex] what do u do next? How do you get cos^2theta in the denominator of the answer :yuck: ?

12. Feb 3, 2005 #11

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Try working on the expression dextercioby gave... how can you rewrite the expression... try experimenting...

That 1/a is messy, how can you rewrite the expression so that the 1/a is no longer there?

13. Feb 3, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \frac{1+\frac{1}{a}}{b}=\frac{\frac{a+1}{a}}{b}=\frac{a+1}{ab} [/tex]

Daniel.

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Ok. I see where you are stuck now. The whole fraction is:
    [tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta} {\cos\theta}+ \frac {1}{\cos\theta}}{\cos\theta} [/tex]

I'll rewrite the numerator, and the fraction becomes:
    [tex] \frac { \frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta}}{cos\theta} [/tex]

Now the denominator of this fraction is [tex]\cos\theta[/tex]

Instead of dividing by [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], I'm going to multiply by:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

So we have:
    [tex]\frac {\cos\theta +1}{\cos\theta} * \frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

Multiply the numerators, and multiply the denominators and we get:
    [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1}{\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

15. Feb 4, 2005 #14

learningphysics

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{(\frac{a}{b})}{c} = \frac{a}{bc}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  16. Feb 4, 2005 #15
    Why not just multiple top and bottom by cos....
    [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {1+\sec\theta} {\cos\theta}(\frac{\cos\theta}{\cos\theta}) [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {\cos\theta+1} {\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

because cos*sec =1 = cos*(1/cos) = 1

17. Feb 4, 2005 #16
    :eek: WoW I think I get it thanks sooo much everyone, once again u all saved me!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook