Find Bohr Radius from Approximate Potential Energy

In summary, the problem involves determining an expression for the Bohr radius using the approximation that the electron's momentum is related to its position by the uncertainty principle. The total energy of the electron is then minimized to find the value of the Bohr radius.
Mattszo

Homework Statement

Determine an expression for the Bohr radius (a[itex]_{0}[/itex] from the following approximation. The electron moves to the nucleus to lower its potential energy,

V(r) = -[itex]\frac{e^{2}}{r}[/itex]

If the electron is in domain 0[itex]\leq[/itex]r[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\bar{r}[/itex], then we may write Δp≈[itex]\frac{\hbar}{\bar{r}}[/itex], with corresponding kinetic energy [itex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m\bar{r}^{2}}[/itex]. With this information estimate a[itex]_{0}[/itex] (Bohr radius) by minimizing the total energy.

Homework Equations

Uncertainty ΔpΔx≈[itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\bar{r}[/itex] is the Mean of r -------> (I think)
[itex]\hat{H}[/itex][itex]\varphi_{n}[/itex]=E[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\varphi_{n}[/itex] or with x-hat and x
For an electron moving with momentum p 2[itex]\pi[/itex]rp=nh
E = K.E + V(x)
[[itex]\hat{A}[/itex], [itex]\hat{B}[/itex]]=[itex]\hat{A}[/itex][itex]\hat{B}[/itex]-[itex]\hat{B}[/itex][itex]\hat{A}[/itex]
[[itex]\hat{A}[/itex], [itex]\hat{B}[/itex]]=0 if they they commute
[[itex]\hat{x}[/itex], [itex]\hat{p}[/itex]]=i[itex]\hbar[/itex]
And I have no idea where this equation came from but I found it in the book and used it for my solution:
[itex]\frac{e^{2}}{r}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{mr^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{mr^{2}}[/itex] where e is the electric charge of the electron and p[itex]_{\vartheta}[/itex]=mr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{\vartheta}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

E = [itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{2m\bar{r}^{2}}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{e^{2}}{\bar{r}}[/itex] ... i
From the "Centripetal Condition" (The equation I got from the book) (r)[itex]\frac{e^{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]=(r)[itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{mr^{3}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{m\bar{r^{2}}}[/itex] ... ii

sub ii into i

E = -[itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{2m\bar{r}^{2}}[/itex] ... iii

Now from Centripetal Condition:
r=[itex]\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{me^{2}}[/itex] where p[itex]_{\vartheta}[/itex]=n[itex]\hbar[/itex] ... iv

Put iv into iii

E = -[itex]\frac{p^{2}_{\vartheta}}{2m}[/itex]([itex]\frac{me^{2}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{me^{4}}{2n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex] and let ℝ=[itex]\frac{m_{e}e^{4}}{2\hbar^{2}}[/itex]=13.6eV
Then E[itex]_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{ℝ}{n^{2}}[/itex]

So for n=1, which is the lowest possible state of potential energy, E[itex]_{1}[/itex]=13.6eV

and for n=1 from equation iv

r[itex]_{1}[/itex]=a[itex]_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{me^{2}}[/itex]=5.24x10[itex]^{-9}[/itex]cm=Bohr's radius

The problem is this was too straightforward and simple. I did not correctly use the mean value of [itex]\bar{r}[/itex], because it is a function and I am to find an expression for the Bohr radius.
I used very little of the information provided.
Also I just assumed the lowest energy state, whereas the question says that the electron just goes to a lower energy state.
Also this question is in the chapter where they define the commutator relationships and compatible operators, and really the whole chapter is about that. I find it fishy the solution I provided doesn't use any of that chapters material.I need a new approach to this problem and am out of ideas. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The idea here is that the electron is confined to a region of size ##\bar{r}##, so applying the uncertainty principle gives you an estimate of the magnitude of its momentum, namely ##p \approx \hbar/\bar{r}##, and therefore of its kinetic energy. The total energy of the electron is thus given as a function of ##\bar{r}## by
$$E(\bar{r}) = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m\bar{r}^2} - \frac{e^2}{\bar{r}}.$$ The problem is simply asking you to find the value of ##\bar{r}## for which the total energy of the electron is minimized.

I see it now, thank you!

1. What is the Bohr radius?

The Bohr radius, also known as the Bohr radius of the atom, is a physical constant that represents the distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom when the electron is in its lowest energy state.

2. How is the Bohr radius related to the potential energy of an atom?

The Bohr radius is inversely proportional to the potential energy of an atom. This means that as the potential energy increases, the Bohr radius decreases, and vice versa.

3. How can I calculate the Bohr radius from an approximate potential energy?

The Bohr radius can be calculated using the formula: a0 = ℏ2 / (meαEP), where ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant, me is the mass of the electron, α is the fine structure constant, and EP is the approximate potential energy.

4. What are the units of the Bohr radius?

The Bohr radius has units of length, specifically meters (m) in the SI system of units. It can also be expressed in other units, such as angstroms (Å) or picometers (pm).

5. What is the significance of the Bohr radius in atomic physics?

The Bohr radius is an important concept in atomic physics as it provides a measure of the size of an atom and is used to calculate the energy levels of electrons in an atom. It also helps to understand the stability and behavior of atoms in various chemical reactions and physical processes.