Expression for circular wave

In summary: Therefore, the conversation is about finding an expression for the displacement of a circular wave created by a stone dropped into a pond. The Hankel function, which solves the Laplace equation for the velocity potential in cylindrical coordinates, is the most appropriate wave function. The displacement at a certain distance away from the origin can be found by using the asymptotic form of the Bessel function, which falls off at a rate proportional to 1/√r. However, there is no simple expression for the displacement that contains the Bessel function. Additionally, in electromagnetics, the Bessel function is a standing wave and the Hankel function is a traveling wave.
scepter
Hi all.
I´m looking for an expression for displacement of the waveform, eta(x,y,t) , of a circular wave that is created when a stone is dropped into a pond. Simplest case, assuming an ideal fluid and neglecting non-linear effects.

Thanks,

/scepter

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are purely interested in cylindrical wave functions, Bessel, Hankel and Airy functions are all appropriate wave functions. I would think a Hankel function is most appropriate, a traveling cylindrical wave. As to the specific application of waves on the surface of a fluid, I am ignorant of the solution to that particular problem.

The Hankel functions solves the Laplace equation for the velocity potential in cylindrical coordinates, so it describes a propagating circular wave.
How do I go about finding the expression for the surface displacement from the Hankel functions?
Is there no simpler way? I imagine the displacement must vanish at a rate proportional to 1/r, where r is the distance from the origin.

scepter said:
The Hankel functions solves the Laplace equation for the velocity potential in cylindrical coordinates, so it describes a propagating circular wave.
How do I go about finding the expression for the surface displacement from the Hankel functions?
Is there no simpler way? I imagine the displacement must vanish at a rate proportional to 1/r, where r is the distance from the origin.
Actually it's the energy (density) that falls off at a rate proportional to 1/r, so the amplitude falls off at a rate proportional to [itex]1/ \sqrt{r}[/itex]. And that corresponds exactly to the asymptotic behaviour of the Bessel function (for large x).

[tex]J_m(x) \simeq \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}} \cos(x - \frac{m \pi}{4} - \frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

Edit. Should be :

[tex]J_m(x) \simeq \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}} \cos(x - \frac{m \pi}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, I see.
So to find the displacement at some distance away from the origin, which is what I`m interested in, I could use this asymptotic form of the Bessel function. Do I need to somehow convert it to polar coordinates?
I take it that there is no available simple expression for the displacement that contains the Bessel function? Maybe someone could outline the procedures for arriving at the displacement formula?

Since Hankel functions are a combination of Bessel functions J and Y, with this case, there would be a singularity at r=0 for Y and thus the result should be a function of J. The only places I have sen Henkel functions arise is in situations where there is no interest in the r=0 case, i.e. annular ducts, incident flows or a pulsating source.

uart: You may want to check your equation for the asymptotic expansion of Jn. Your second cosine term should be [tex]\frac{m \pi}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
Since Hankel functions are a combination of Bessel functions J and Y, with this case, there would be a singularity at r=0 for Y and thus the result should be a function of J. The only places I have sen Henkel functions arise is in situations where there is no interest in the r=0 case, i.e. annular ducts, incident flows or a pulsating source.

uart: You may want to check your equation for the asymptotic expansion of Jn. Your second cosine term should be [tex]\frac{m \pi}{2}[/tex]

In electromagnetics, the Bessel function is a standing wave and the Hankel function is a traveling wave. The wave equation that would arise with a line sourc such as the OP's would be a Hankel function unless he required a reflecting boundary.

1. What is the expression for a circular wave?

The expression for a circular wave is given by A sin(kr - ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, r is the distance from the center of the wave, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How do you calculate the wave number for a circular wave?

The wave number for a circular wave can be calculated using the equation k = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength of the wave.

3. What is the significance of the phase angle in the expression for a circular wave?

The phase angle represents the initial phase of the wave at t = 0. It determines the position of the wave on the x-axis and can affect the interference patterns of the wave.

4. Can the amplitude of a circular wave change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of a circular wave can change over time due to the phenomenon of wave superposition, where multiple waves can combine and interfere with each other, resulting in a change in amplitude.

5. How does the expression for a circular wave differ from that of a linear wave?

The expression for a circular wave is different from that of a linear wave because it takes into account the radial distance from the center of the wave, whereas a linear wave only considers the distance along the x-axis. Additionally, the angular frequency in the circular wave expression is dependent on the wave speed and wavelength, while the linear wave expression uses the wave speed and wave number.