What does the 0-ket in this state function expression represent?

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion of an expression involving the "0-ket", also known as the vacuum state. The expression was presented in terms of multiple particles with a dependence on time, but the validity of the expression was questioned due to a lack of a valid reference. The conversation ended without a clear resolution.
davidge
I would like to know what the "0-ket", called vacuum state and used in the following expression, represents $$\Psi(x,t) = \int d^3x <x| \ a^{\dagger}(x) \ |0>$$ I have rewritten the expression for the case of just one ##x##. The expression above is usually presented with ##(x_1,...x_n)## (n particles), in which case we have to integrate over each ##x_i##.

Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
the following expression

Where are you getting this expression from? It doesn't look right, since there is a dependence on ##t## on the LHS but nothing on the RHS has anything to do with ##t##.

Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
Where are you getting this expression from? It doesn't look right, since there is a dependence on ##t## on the LHS but nothing on the RHS has anything to do with ##t##.
Sorry, it was a typo. The expression as I saw it, is find below. I have it in my QM-folder. As I got it long time ago, I will not be able to tell you where I got it from.
9RLveJa.png

davidge said:
As I got it long time ago, I will not be able to tell you where I got it from.

Sorry, without a valid reference, I have no way of responding, except to say that what's in your QM folder still doesn't look quite right (nor does it look the same, for the case of one dimension, as what you wrote in the OP). This is why we ask for references to textbooks and peer-reviewed papers directly, not something you might have gotten from it at some time but can't remember, and apparently miscopied something when you wrote it down.

Thread closed.

Likes davidge

1. What is an expression for state function?

An expression for state function is a mathematical representation of a physical property of a system that remains constant regardless of the path taken to achieve that state. It is often denoted as "S" and can include variables such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How is an expression for state function different from other mathematical expressions?

An expression for state function is different from other mathematical expressions because it specifically represents a physical property of a system and is not dependent on the process or path taken to reach that state. Other mathematical expressions may describe relationships between variables that change depending on the conditions or inputs.

3. What are some common examples of state functions?

Some common examples of state functions include temperature, pressure, volume, internal energy, and entropy. These properties remain constant for a given system regardless of the process or path taken to achieve them.

4. How is an expression for state function used in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, an expression for state function is used to describe the physical properties of a system and how they change in relation to each other. These expressions can be used to calculate the work, heat, and energy involved in a process, as well as predict the direction of spontaneous changes in a system.

5. Can an expression for state function be used to determine the properties of a system at any point in time?

Yes, an expression for state function can be used to determine the properties of a system at any point in time, as long as the initial and final states of the system are known. This is because state functions are independent of the process or path taken and only depend on the current state of the system.