1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression for the magnitude

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    Find an expression for the magnitude of the horizontal force in the figure for which does not slip either up or down along the wedge. All surfaces are frictionless.

I am a little confused, what is this question really asking? i have attempted sevral trig equations but i cant get the answer correct...anyone point me in the right way?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

First identify all the forces acting on the block. Then apply Newton's 2nd law. (Hint: vertical forces must add to zero, otherwise the block will accelerate in the vertical direction.)

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    im still so confused on this problem....ok i have the forces for the block and the wedge the same, they both have a line pointing up and down, and pointing right for the force...but im completly lost on how to begin solving this problem.

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    If [tex]m_1[/tex] is not to slip in any direction, it will move forward together with [tex]m_2[/tex] with accelerelation a. Upward and right direction is choosen to be y and x axis.
    Consider [tex]m_1[/tex]:
    y component :
    [tex]N_{1}sin(90-\theta)+(-m_{1}*g)=0[/tex]
    [tex]N_{1}cos\theta=m_{1}*g[/tex]…(1)
    x component :
    [tex]N_{1}cos(90-\theta)-m_{1}*a=0[/tex]
    [tex]N_{1}sin\theta=m_{1}*a[/tex]…(2)
    Consider [tex]m_2[/tex]:
    x component:
    [tex]F+(-N_{1}sin\theta)=m_{2}*a[/tex]
    [tex]F-N_{1}sin\theta=m_{2}*a[/tex]…(3)
    (2) into (3):
    [tex]F-m_{1}*a=m_{2}*a[/tex]
    [tex]F =a*(m_{1}+ m_{2})[/tex]…(4)
    (2) divided by (1) :
    [tex]tan\theta=\frac{a}{g}[/tex]…(5)
    (5) into (4) :
    [tex]F=gtan\theta(m_{1}+ m_{2})[/tex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?