How Is Time Calculated for a Ball Thrown Upwards?

In summary, an expression for time is a mathematical or symbolic representation of a specific amount of time that can be used for various purposes such as calculating elapsed time or comparing time intervals. There are different types of expressions that can be used for time, such as numerical, symbolic, and verbal. To convert an expression for time into a different unit, conversion factors or specific formulas can be used. Additionally, expressions for time can be utilized in scientific calculations. To write an expression for a specific time interval, the formula time = final time - initial time can be used, as long as the same unit of time is used for both times.
nk12
A ball is thrown straight upward with a speed v from a point h metres above the ground. Express the time taken for the ball to strike the ground in terms of v,g and h.
(this question would be worth 4 marks on an assignment, so please answer according to the allocated marks) Thank you:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll first say that you should show some work because you're about to get pounced on for asking for answers.

Here's my tip... what kinematic equation(s) relate(s) the variables you mentioned?

I understand the importance of expressing physical quantities in terms of relevant variables. In this case, we are looking to express the time taken for a ball to strike the ground in terms of its initial speed (v), acceleration due to gravity (g), and initial height (h).

To do this, we can use the equation of motion for a projectile in free fall, which is given by h = v*t - 1/2*g*t^2, where h is the height at time t, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, we are interested in the time taken for the ball to reach the ground, so we can set h = 0, since the ball will have reached the ground at that point.

Solving for t, we get t = (v/g) * (1 + √(1 + 2*g*h/v^2)), which is the expression for the time taken for the ball to strike the ground. This equation takes into account the initial speed, acceleration due to gravity, and initial height of the ball.

In terms of marks, I would say this response would earn 4 marks because it provides a clear and concise expression for the time taken for the ball to strike the ground, taking into account all relevant variables. It also shows an understanding of the equation of motion for a projectile in free fall and how to apply it to this specific scenario.

1. What is an expression for time?

An expression for time is a mathematical or symbolic representation of a specific amount of time. It can be used to calculate elapsed time, determine future or past dates, or compare time intervals.

2. What types of expressions can be used for time?

There are various types of expressions that can be used for time, such as numerical expressions (e.g. 5 minutes, 1 hour), symbolic expressions (e.g. 3:30 PM, 9/21/2021), or even verbal expressions (e.g. half an hour, a quarter past 10).

3. How can I convert an expression for time into a different unit?

To convert an expression for time into a different unit, you can use conversion factors or formulas specific to the units you are converting between. For example, to convert minutes to hours, you can divide the number of minutes by 60.

4. Can expressions for time be used in scientific calculations?

Yes, expressions for time can be used in a variety of scientific calculations, such as calculating the speed of an object, determining the rate of a chemical reaction, or predicting the motion of celestial bodies.

5. How can I write an expression for a specific time interval?

To write an expression for a specific time interval, you can use the formula time = final time - initial time. This will give you the elapsed time between two points in time. Make sure to use the same unit of time for both the final and initial times.