Deriving Velocity Expression for Angular Impulse in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the expression for velocity using angular impulse of force. It is clarified that the correct expression is \dot\vec{r}^2=\dot{r}^2+\left(\frac{l}{mr}\right)^2 and the use of polar coordinates is explained.
littleHilbert
Hey guys!

I've got a question. How do we get this expression for the velocity:

[itex]\dot\vec{r}=\dot{r}+\frac{l^2}{m^2r^2}[/itex], where l is the angular impulse of force

I thought we could do it like this:
[itex]{\vec{l}}^2=l^2=(\vec{r}\times{m\dot\vec{r}})^2=m^2|\vec{r}|^2|\dot\vec{r}|^2-(\vec{r}\bullet{m\dot\vec{r}})^2=
m^2r^2{\dot\vec{r}}^2-(\vec{r}\bullet{m{\dot\vec{r}})^2[/itex]
We can't simply write:[itex]{\dot\vec{r}}^2={\dot{r}}^2[/itex], since then l=0. But why? Which rule forbids that equality. Similarly we can't treat the scalar product above as we would wish to. So how should one proceed in this case?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
littleHilbert said:
Hey guys!

I've got a question. How do we get this expression for the velocity:

[itex]\dot\vec{r}=\dot{r}+\frac{l^2}{m^2r^2}[/itex], where l is the angular momentum
Where do you get this expression from? The units of [itex]L^2/m^2r^2[/itex] are [itex]m^2/sec^2[/tex] so this cannot be correct.

It should be:

[tex]\dot\vec{r}^2=\dot{r}^2+\left(\frac{l}{mr}\right)^2[/tex]

AM

Oh, Jesus sorry...I meant (anglular) impulse of force of course! :)...I've corrected it.

littleHilbert said:
We can't simply write: [itex]{\dot\vec{r}}^2={\dot{r}}^2[/itex], since then l=0. But why? Which rule forbids that equality.

[tex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r} [/tex]
[tex]\implies \dot \vec{r} = \frac{d}{dt} (r\hat{r}) = r\frac{d \hat{r}}{dt} + \frac{dr }{dt} \hat{r} = r \dot \theta \hat{\theta} + \dot r \hat{r} [/tex]

Last edited:
Ahhh! Of course - polar coordinates! I've got it now!
Thanks guys! :-)

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The equation for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity depend on the units used for position and time. In the SI system, velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, a car moving eastward would have a positive velocity, while a car moving westward would have a negative velocity.

5. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. If an object experiences acceleration, its velocity will change over time. The direction of acceleration and velocity may be the same or opposite, depending on whether the object is speeding up or slowing down.