Expression for Yl,-l again

• Thread starter rubertoda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses using the expression for the associated Legendre polynomials to apply the creation operator for the orbital angular momentum operator. The individual is wondering if they can prove this for the general case or if they need to use a specific case, such as l = 1. They also mention using recurrence relations to show this.
rubertoda
I have: [tex]Y_l^m= Ne^{im\varphi}P_l^m(cos\theta)[/tex] where

[tex]P_l^m(cos\theta)[/tex] is the associated legendre polynomials: [tex] P_l^m(cos\theta)=(-1)^m(sin\theta)^m(\frac{d^m}{d (cos\theta)^m})[/tex]

The problem is that i want to use this expression to apply on it the creation operator for the orbital angular momentum operator i. e to make this function with m = -l; [tex]Y_{-l}^l \rightarrow Y_{-l+1}^l[/tex]

When i attempt this, i get a very complicated set of derivatives etc, because i haven't specified the "l".
Now, my question is: can i prove this for the general case or do i have to use a specific case, for example l = 1?

The creation operator is: [tex] L_+ = L_x + iL_y [/tex]

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can probably show it for the general case by using recurrence relations the associated Legendre polynomials satisfy.

Thank you very much vela. but i think i should use the expression for the ladder operator?or do u have any idea how to start with the recurrance?

What is the expression for Yl,-l again?

The expression for Yl,-l again refers to the spherical harmonic function, which is used to describe the angular part of a three-dimensional function. Specifically, it represents the component of the function in the direction of the negative z-axis.

How is the expression for Yl,-l again derived?

The expression for Yl,-l again is derived using the complex exponential form of the spherical harmonics and the associated Legendre polynomials. It involves integrating over the polar angle and azimuthal angle to obtain the final expression.

What is the significance of the negative subscript in Yl,-l again?

The negative subscript in Yl,-l again indicates the orientation of the component along the negative z-axis. It is used to differentiate it from the positive subscript, which represents the component along the positive z-axis.

Can the expression for Yl,-l again be used in other applications besides spherical harmonics?

Yes, the expression for Yl,-l again can be applied in various fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is a fundamental mathematical function that has many applications in physics and engineering.

Is there a simplified version of the expression for Yl,-l again?

Yes, there are various simplified forms of the expression for Yl,-l again depending on the specific values of l and m. For example, when l=0 and m=0, the expression simplifies to a constant value. Additionally, when l=1 and m=0, the expression simplifies to a linear combination of the x, y, and z coordinates.