1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression for Yl,-l again

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    I have: [tex]Y_l^m= Ne^{im\varphi}P_l^m(cos\theta)[/tex] where

[tex]P_l^m(cos\theta)[/tex] is the associated legendre polynomials: [tex] P_l^m(cos\theta)=(-1)^m(sin\theta)^m(\frac{d^m}{d (cos\theta)^m})[/tex]

The problem is that i want to use this expression to apply on it the creation operator for the orbital angular momentum operator i. e to make this function with m = -l; [tex]Y_{-l}^l \rightarrow Y_{-l+1}^l[/tex]

When i attempt this, i get a very complicated set of derivatives etc, because i havent specified the "l".
    Now, my question is: can i prove this for the general case or do i have to use a specific case, for example l = 1?

The creation operator is: [tex] L_+ = L_x + iL_y [/tex]

thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can probably show it for the general case by using recurrence relations the associated Legendre polynomials satisfy.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much vela. but i think i should use the expression for the ladder operator?or do u have any idea how to start with the recurrance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook