1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression: Number of revs per second of electron entering a region of magnetic field

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron of speed v enters a region of magnetic field B directed normally to its velocity and is deflected into a circular path.
    Find an expression for the number of revolutions per second the electron will make. If the electron is replaced by a proton, how does your answer change?

2. Relevant equations
    revolutions per second = angular velocity = v/r
    I also know, that the answer should be f=eB/2pi(m)
    F=eBv sin(theta), where e=charge of an electron

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured, that one needs to replace v by 2(pi)r, which is angular velocity.
    So, ma=eB2(pi)r

From then, I do not know how to go farther, please help with your suggestions or even solutions!

Thank you before hand!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Re: expression: Number of revs per second of electron entering a region of magnetic f

In this case the magnetic field forces the particle into a circular orbit. There is a general name and expression for a force that keeps a particle in an orbit. Do you know what it is?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    Re: expression: Number of revs per second of electron entering a region of magnetic f

Well, this force is certainly known as centripetal force :)

I expect that I need to set up an equation of magnetic force and centripetal force and solve it for v/r which is the angular velocity or the revolutions per second.
    The problem is, that I get the following answer:

v/r = eB/m...
    now my book says, that the answer is f=eB/2(pi)m
    where does the 2(pi) come from. any suggestions?

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're correct about the centripetal force and you're also correct that [itex]\omega=v/r[/itex]. Now note that the answer in the book does not calculate omega, but it calculates f, frequency. Do you know how omega and f are related?

[tex]
    \frac{v}{r}=\frac{eB}{m}
    [/tex]

Is correct.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5

omega = 2(pi)f

Thank you so much for your support, I finally got the answer.

I am new to the forum, and will recommend it among my friends, as I find it highly effective.

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook