Expression where a certain quantity is proportional to the force squared

In summary: What could the integral, ∫cos(x)cos(x)dx, represent? I couldn't relate it to anything from physics. Could you please guide me with this?Seeing squares of amplitude, speed, electric field, electric charge. voltage, current is common. You often integrate them over time or space to get power of energy. You don't really see the square of power itself much.
PainterGuy
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find an expression where x ∝ Force² or x ∝ Power²
Hi,

I'm trying to find an expression or phenomenon where a certain quantity is proportional to force squared or power squared. For example, we have Force ∝ acceleration and Power ∝ I².

I'm not sure if my question is a legit. I was trying to understand something and this question came to my mind and wanted to clarify. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
Summary: Trying to find an expression where x ∝ Force² or x ∝ Power²

For example, we have Force ∝ acceleration and Power ∝ I².
but they are not directly proportional unless the other factor is known

for Force ∝ acceleration ... only when the mass doesn't change

for Power ∝ I² ... only when the resistance doesn't change

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
Summary: Trying to find an expression where x ∝ Force² or x ∝ Power²

The energy in a spring is proportional to the square of the force on it.

Power² gets harder. I can only find this:
Hook up a variable resistor R to a constant current source. The voltage across it is proportional to the power dissipated in the resistor. Also hook up a capacitor parallel to the resistor. The voltage across it is proportional to the power dissipated in the resistor, so the energy in it is proportional to the square of it.

Likes PainterGuy
willem2 said:
The voltage across it is proportional to the power dissipated in the resistor
Not true, the voltage across it is proportional to the current in the resistor, not the power.

anorlunda said:
Not true, the voltage across it is proportional to the current in the resistor, not the power.
I specified a current source. If I is constant, Power is proportional to voltage

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you.

I thought that I should provide more context because I'm still little confused.

In the integral, ∫cos(x)dx, cos(x) could represent a varying quantity such as force and dx could represent time. The integral gives us impulse with units N.s, Newton-seconds.

What could the integral, ∫cos(x)cos(x)dx, represent? I couldn't relate it to anything from physics. Could you please guide me with this?

Thanks a lot!

PainterGuy said:
What could the integral, ∫cos(x)cos(x)dx, represent? I couldn't relate it to anything from physics. Could you please guide me with this?
Seeing squares of amplitude, speed, electric field, electric charge. voltage, current is common. You often integrate them over time or space to get power of energy. You don't really see the square of power itself much.
I can't really tell if an integral is valid without knowing where it came from.

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
What could the integral, ∫cos(x)cos(x)dx, represent?
You can certainly come across the integral of ##\cos^2##. For example a resistor of resistance ##R## subject to a voltage ##V_0\cos(\omega t)## will dissipate energy ##(V_0^2/R)\int\cos^2(\omega t) dt##.

I can't think of a reason for integrating the square of power. Think about what integration is: it's the limit of a sum. We are saying that the energy dissipated by the resistor is the power it dissipates at any given time multiplied by a tiny time interval ##dt##, summed over the range of times we're interested in. That's why the integral of power with respect to time is interesting - because power is energy per unit time and energy per unit time times time just gives us the total energy.

I can't think why you'd want to square power and then integrate with respect to time. You can certainly calculate it. It gives you something with units of energy squared per unit time, but I don't know why you'd want to know this. ##E=\int Pdt## is a bit like saying I charge £40/hr and it's going to take me three hours to do the job, so that'll be £120. Calculating ##\int P^2dt## is a bit like squaring my rate and multiplying by three hours. You can do it perfectly well, but why would you? It's not useful for anything.
PainterGuy said:
I couldn't relate it to anything from physics.
That's exactly the point.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What does it mean when a quantity is proportional to the force squared?

When a quantity is proportional to the force squared, it means that the value of the quantity is directly related to the square of the force acting on it. This relationship is expressed in the form of an equation, where the quantity is equal to a constant multiplied by the force squared.

2. How is this expression derived?

This expression is derived from the fundamental physical law known as the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. By applying this law to a specific quantity, we can determine that the quantity is proportional to the force squared.

3. What are some examples of quantities that are proportional to the force squared?

Some examples of quantities that are proportional to the force squared include gravitational potential energy, electric potential energy, and the intensity of sound or light waves. In each of these cases, the quantity is directly related to the square of the force or field that is causing it.

4. How is this expression used in scientific research?

This expression is used in many areas of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and biology. It allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of various systems and phenomena, such as the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, the strength of electric fields, and the intensity of various types of waves.

5. Can this expression be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this expression can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, it is often used in practical applications, such as designing structures to withstand certain forces or calculating the efficiency of energy systems. By understanding the relationship between a quantity and the force squared, we can make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.