1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extended bachelor vs master

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    I am 25 years old and I have completed 2 years of bachelor courses where the majority is courses in Computer Science. Now I find myself in a situation where I can take specific courses for the 1 remaining year and get a general bachelor degree.

With this general bachelor degree I am able to take a master in Computer Science and some other fields.

The thing is that I am also interested in taking some courses into microcontrollers and hardware. That would mean that I have to extend my bachelor to 4 years(at least). Is it worth it? I can ofcourse still take a master after that but then it will have taken me 6 years of studying for everything.. and that in case I complete all courses per schedule.

What do you think? Is it worth to spend +1 year at bachelor level just taking courses you find interesting or should I just jump directly to a master? I am 25 years old at the moment and I feel a bit too old already for the prolonging of my studies.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    Is a "general" bachelor degree worth much? I would certainly be curious about such a thing on a technical resume. If you can indeed gain accelerated entry into your intended Masters program, then it might be worth it, but I generally expect a technical hire to have the depth of instruction that a technical Bachelors degree represents.

Since you said your intended Masters program is in computer science, a good code portfolio could make up for the name of your degree. I would be swayed by such evidence, but leery otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook