Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extended coulomb´s law

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    I FOUND THIS EXPRESSION TO AN EXTENDED COULOMB´S LAW:

F = (k*q1*q2/r2)(1 -v2/c2)

BUT I NEED TO USE THE LATEX....HELP

SOMEBODY COULD HELP ME?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

The formula is wrong, but in Latex it would be
    [tex]F=q_1 q_2(1-v^2/c^2)/r^2[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. Aug 7, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4
    if you separate the formula, may be you can begin to understand it, just do it and we continue

6. Aug 8, 2009 #5

clem

Science Advisor

What does "separate" mean?

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    ok.

F = (kq1*q2/r2)*(1-v2/c2) = electric force (coulomb´s law) - magnetic force

F = (kq1*q2/r2) - (magnetic constant)*q1*q2*v2)/4*pi*r2

could some phenomena like this exists?

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

clem

Science Advisor

No, because the magnetic and electric fields of a moving particle are more complicated than you have assumed.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    I´ve got two static charges in my hands and I measure the electric field, but I´m in a spaceship, just someone out of the spaceship see the magnetic field. How many complicated things see that observer?. I measure electric fields in the earth. What´s the travelling speed of the earth around the Universe?

10. Aug 11, 2009 #9

clem

Science Advisor

The relativistic formula for the fields of a moving charge are in most advanced EM textbooks. They enter to order v^2/c^2, which is too small to see with the earth's velocity. But the v^2/c^2 correction to E is of the same order as the v^2/c^2 magneitc effect.

11. Aug 11, 2009 #10
    What is the relativistic formula for the fields of a moving charge?
    What is the relativistic formula for the forces of a moving charge?

12. Aug 11, 2009 #11

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Grab an E&M book, as clem says, or look here: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node26.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Aug 13, 2009 #12
    I´ve got an article "Conceptual error in contemporary science", the author is: Joseph J. Smulsky. He presents a formula very similar to the formula shown in The electromagnetic field due to a uniformly moving charge. Which one is right?

I wanted to establish an equilibrium forces equation and I got the formula I present.

But F = (K*q1*q2/4*pi*r2)(1-v2/c2) it´s just a step for the complete equilibrium equation, there are more forces including fictitious forces.

I calculated using biot-savart law and lorentz force the magnetic force and I was adding terms to the equation.

Finally I wanted a formula for electron velocity in atomic structure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook