Exploring the Physics of Boiling Water: A Comparative Study with Oil

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible topic for an extended essay in physics - investigating the cause of the noise water makes before boiling and comparing it to oil. The speaker expresses their interest in physics and asks for advice, to which the expert responds that it is a great topic and suggests expanding the research to include other liquids.
Zitta
Im just about to start writing my extended essay, which is basically 4000 words on a topuc of your choice, I am thinking of Physics. My idea is to investigate what causes water to make the noise it makes right before it boils, to focus on whether it is the purity of it or not, I am thinking of comparing it to oil as oil is almost completely pure.

Do you think it is a good enough topic? I'm not particularly good at physics but i enjoy it and i want to do it at a higher level. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is a great topic for an extended essay in physics. It is a fairly focused topic that will allow you to explore the physical properties of water and oil in detail. You can also use your research to draw conclusions on why water makes the noise it does when boiling. Additionally, you could expand your research to include other liquids and compare the sounds they make when boiled. This could help to gain a better understanding of the underlying physics behind the phenomenon. Good luck with your essay!

What is an Extended Essay?

An Extended Essay (EE) is a research paper required for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program. It is an independent and self-directed piece of work that allows students to explore a topic of their interest in-depth.

Where can I find help for my Extended Essay?

There are several resources available for students who need help with their Extended Essay. These include your school's IB coordinator, subject teachers, the IB website, and online forums and study groups.

What are some tips for writing a successful Extended Essay?

Some tips for writing a successful Extended Essay include choosing a topic that is specific and manageable, conducting thorough research, properly citing sources, and seeking feedback from your supervisor and peers.

How long should an Extended Essay be?

An Extended Essay must be between 3,500 and 4,000 words in length. This word count includes the introduction, body, conclusion, and any quotations or footnotes. It does not include the abstract, contents page, or reference list.

When should I start working on my Extended Essay?

It is recommended to start working on your Extended Essay as early as possible to allow enough time for research, writing, and revisions. The ideal timeline is to start in the summer before your senior year, with a final draft due in January or February.