Extending a pre measure

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at a solution for a problem involving a sigma-algebra and a potential extension of a pre-measure to a measure. It is shown that the sigma-algebra is not equal to the Borel set, and the conditions for extending a pre-measure are clarified. It is concluded that Carathéodory's theorem provides sufficient but not necessary conditions for such an extension.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
Consider on ##\mathbb{R}## the family ##\sum## of all Borel sets which are symmetric w.r.t. the origin. Show that ##\sum## is a ##\sigma## algebra. Is it possible to extend a pre measure ##\mu## on ##\sigma## to a measure on ##\mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})##? If so, is this extension unique?
Relevant Equations
Definition: A semi-ring is a family ##\mathcal{S} \subset \mathcal{P}(X)## with the following properties:

1) ##\emptyset \in \mathcal{S}##

2) ##S, T \in \mathcal{S} \Rightarrow S \cap T \in \mathcal{S}##

3) For ##S, T \in \mathcal{S}## there exists finitely many disjoint ##S_1, S_2, \dots, S_M \in \mathcal{S}## such that ##S \setminus T = \bigcup_{i=1}^M S_i##.

Theorem: (Carathéodory) Let ##\mathcal{S} \subset \mathcal{P}(X)## be a semi-ring and ##\mu:[0, \infty]## a pre measure, i.e. a set function with

i) ##\mu(\emptyset) = 0##

ii) ##(S_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \subset \mathcal{S}##, disjoint and ##S = \bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}S_n \in \mathcal{S}\Rightarrow \mu(S) = \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \mu(S_n)##.

Then ##\mu## has an extension to a measure ##\mu## on ##\sigma(\mathcal{S})##. Moreover, if ##\mathcal{S}## contains an exhausting sequence ##(S_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##S_n \uparrow X## such that ##\mu(S_n) < \infty## for all ##n\in\mathbb{N}##, then the extension is unique.
-------------
Attempt at solution: We have ##\sum = \lbrace B \subset \mathbb{R} : b \in B \Rightarrow -b \in B \rbrace##. Clearly, ##\emptyset \in \sum##. Let ##B \in \sum## and ##a \in B^c##. Then ##a \not\in B## which implies ##-a\not\in B##. So ##-a \in B^c## i.e. ##B^c \in \sum##. Lastly, for any ##(B_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \subset \sum##, if ##b \in \bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}B_n##, then ##b \in B_k## for some ##k## which implies ##-b \in B_k \subset \bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}B_n##. This shows ##\sum## is a ##\sigma## algebra.

However, I don't think we can extend a measure on ##\sum## to ##\mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})## only using the above theorem. My reasoning is because ##\sigma(\sum) \neq \mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})##. My questions are this:

1) How can I prove that ##\sigma(\sum) \neq \mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})##? I guessed this is true because I don't see how to show ##[1, 2) \in \sigma(\sum)##.

2) The book's solution says that we can extend a pre measure on ##\sum## to a measure on ##\mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})##, but in theorem 6.1. we require ##\sigma(\sum) = \mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})## for such an extension to exist? I think I am missing something..

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##\Sigma## is a ##\sigma##-algebra, we have ##\sigma(\Sigma)=\Sigma##.

Thus trivially ##\sigma(\Sigma)\subsetneq B(\mathbb{R})##.

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Math_QED said:
Since ##\Sigma## is a ##\sigma##-algebra, we have ##\sigma(\Sigma)=\Sigma##.

Thus trivially ##\sigma(\Sigma)\subsetneq B(\mathbb{R})##.
Thank you, that makes sense.

I think things are cleared up. Carathéodory's theorem (the one in OP) gives us sufficient but not necessary conditions to extend a pre measure. So we don't necessarily have to meet the requirement of the theorem in order to extend a pre measure to a measure. And this answers my 2nd question, I think.

1. What is the purpose of extending a pre measure?

The purpose of extending a pre measure is to define a measure on a larger class of sets than the original pre measure was defined on. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate measurement of the sets in question.

2. How is a pre measure extended?

A pre measure can be extended by defining a new measure on a larger class of sets that includes the original pre measure. This can be done by using techniques such as the Carathéodory extension theorem or the Hahn-Kolmogorov extension theorem.

3. What are the requirements for extending a pre measure?

The main requirement for extending a pre measure is that the original pre measure must be a pre measure on a sigma-algebra, which is a collection of sets that is closed under countable unions and complements. Additionally, the extended measure must satisfy certain properties, such as being countably additive and being defined on all sets in the sigma-algebra.

4. Can any pre measure be extended?

No, not all pre measures can be extended. There are certain conditions that must be met in order for a pre measure to be extendable, such as being defined on a sigma-algebra and satisfying certain properties. If these conditions are not met, then the pre measure cannot be extended.

5. What is the difference between a pre measure and a measure?

A pre measure is a less strict version of a measure, as it does not necessarily satisfy all the properties of a measure. A pre measure may not be defined on all sets in a sigma-algebra and may not be countably additive. However, a measure must satisfy these properties in order to be considered a measure.