Extension cord connected to heater - Find the power

In summary, the question asks for the power dissipated in a 2.7 m extension cord made of no. 16 copper wire with a diameter of 0.129 cm when connected to an electric heater drawing 15.0 A on a 120V line. One approach is to find the resistance using the formula R = p (L/A) and then use the formula P=RI^2 to calculate the power. Another approach is to use the formula P=IV, but the voltage needs to be found using the formula V = IR. The final answer is the power dissipated in the cord.
thisisfudd
An extension cord made of two wires of diameter 0.129 cm (no. 16 copper wire) and of length 2.7 m is connected to an electric heater which draws 15.0 A on a 120V line. How much power is dissipated in the cord?

Do I just use P=IV?

But that leaves a lot of "extraneous" information.

My second thought was to find resistance:

R = p (L/A)
A = pir^2 = 1.29E-3^2 x pi = 5.23E-6

R = (1.68E-8) x (2.7/5.23E-6)
R = .00867

But then I'm not sure what to do from there.

Using P=IV I get 1800 W. But then do I have to multiply by length and area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously u cannot use the 1800W...That's the power dissipated by the SOURCE...For the line,u need to use another formula
[tex] P=RI^{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.The potential between the ends of the chord in NOT 120V...:wink:

OK, so I have found resistance, .00867. So then I can use P = RI^2?

P = .00867 x (15.0A)^2?

Your PS is intriguing but of course I don't understand. Are you saying that it draws 15 A on a 120 V line but I have to find what it draws on this line, given the voltage of this line? How would I go about finding that? Let's see what I know: resistance, and a ratio of current to voltage?

If V = IR

V/I = .00867

OK, I'm stuck. Please help!

You found the power without computing the voltage on the specific portion.You're done.

Daniel.

Huh. Awesome. Thanks for your help!

1. How do I calculate the power of an extension cord connected to a heater?

The power of an extension cord connected to a heater can be calculated by multiplying the voltage of the power source by the amperage of the cord. This will give you the wattage, which is the measurement of power.

2. Why is it important to find the power of the extension cord connected to a heater?

It is important to find the power of the extension cord connected to a heater because it will help you determine if the cord is capable of handling the amount of power required by the heater. Using an extension cord with a lower power rating than the heater can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire.

3. How can I determine the voltage of the power source for the extension cord?

The voltage of the power source can usually be found on the label of the outlet or in the user manual for the outlet. It is typically 120V for residential outlets in the US.

4. What is the maximum amperage that an extension cord can handle?

The maximum amperage that an extension cord can handle depends on the length and gauge of the cord. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the maximum amperage for your specific extension cord.

5. Can I use multiple extension cords to increase the power for my heater?

No, it is not recommended to use multiple extension cords to increase the power for your heater. This can cause the cords to overheat and potentially lead to a fire. It is best to use a single extension cord with the appropriate power rating for your heater.