1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension in a heavy spring

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    A spring of mass [itex]M[/itex] is suspended from the ceiling of a room. Find the extension in the spring due to its own weight if it has a spring constant of value [itex] k [/itex].

I am getting answer as [itex] \frac{Mg}{2k} [/itex], but the answer given in back of the book is [itex]\frac{Mg}{3k}[/itex]. What I did was :

Let the natural (in un-stretched position) length of the spring be [itex]L[/itex]. Let us consider an element of length [itex]dx[/itex] at a distance [itex]x[/itex] from the bottom of the spring. Then the spring constant of this small spring is [itex]k_x = \frac{L}{dx} k[/itex]. Tension in this spring is [itex]T_x= \frac{x}{L} Mg [/itex] (due to the weight of the spring below it, neglecting the weight of this small spring). Therefore, the extension in this small spring, [itex] dl = \frac{T_x}{k_x} = \frac{Mg}{k L^{2}} x dx [/itex]. Therefore total extension, [itex] l = \frac{Mg}{k L^{2}} \int_{0}^{L} x dx = \frac{Mg}{2k}[/itex].

So, where I am wrong; or is the answer in the book wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'd say that you are correct. What book are you using?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook