1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension of a rod

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    I have a rod which is part of a greater structure and I resolved the forces along the rod. This rod is under tension with a force FcosQ on the left end (force direction towards left) and FsinQ on the other end (force direction towards the right). I need to find the extension of the rod and I am using hooks law F=Ks*delta where Ks is the stretching force constant and delta is the extension of the rod. Now the problem is what is the force F that I should use in Hooks law.

picture 1

At first I thought I should use the resultant force F*(cosQ-sinQ) so that the extension of the rod is delta=F(cosQ-sinQ)/Ks. But this is wrong because if I pull a spring with 1000 N on one end and 1000 N on the other. The net force is zero, but I trust you would agree that it will stretch.

Then I thought that the force acting on the rod that causes the extension is F*(cosQ+sinQ) because if you have a rubber band and pull it with a force FcosQ on one end and FsinQ on the other end, it will extend from both ends and hence the total extension is delta=F*(cosQ+sinQ)/Ks.
    But I guess this is also wrong because when we have a mass attached to a string and string attached to the ceiling, the tension in the string is F not 2F and we say that the extension of string is delta=F/k

picture 2

I feel bit confused!!!!! Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What other forces act on this rod? Assuming this is a static structure (is it?), there must be other forces balancing these two, else the rod will accelerate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook