1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension of spring Lagrangian

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ideal spring of relaxed length l and spring constant k is attached to two blocks, A and B of mass M and m respectively. A velocity u is imparted to block B. Find the length of the spring when B comes to rest.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] ∆K + ∆U = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] U = \frac {kx^2}{2} [/tex]
    [tex] ∆p = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] L = K - U [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used energy conservation to find the answer. I got:

[tex] (mu)^2( \frac 1m - \frac1M) = kx^2 [/tex]

Then divide by k and take the square root.

I then tried with the Lagrangian. My coordinates are x and X, where X is the position of B, and x is the position of A. u is the velocity of A and U is the velocity B. And because the solutions will not change if I multiply the Lagrangian, I eliminated the factor of half from the energies. Thus my Lagrangian is:

[tex] mu^2 + MU^2 - k(x - X - l)^2 = L [/tex]

I used the Euler Lagrange equations with respect to x and X. However when I used them I simply end up with Hooke's law. But Hooke's law relates the acceleration to the extension of the spring and I do not have the acceleration. Thus I can't solve for the extension. Plus the solution should depend on the final and initial velocities but it does not.
    How could I solve this using the Lagrangian?
    Thank you for answering

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2
    I set up a new Lagrangian that is in terms of the displacement of the spring. Then I used Hooke's laws from the Lagrangian, and found an equation for the displacement's acceleration. Its Hooke's law, but with the reduced mass, so I solved it, used the velocity of the displacement to find the time, then plugged that in back in the equation of the displacement. I know it is the right answer because the energy answer matches this one, but is there a simpler way of doing this?
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted