Breaking the Speed of Light: Exploring a New Theory

In summary, two physicists have developed a theory that extends Special Relativity to velocities greater than the speed of light while still maintaining v=c as a singularity. However, the paper explaining this theory and containing the equations can be found at https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0510185.pdf.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Some time ago,I read among the news,that two physicists have extended SR to velocities greater than c in a way which is compatible with the original theory and still in their theory,v=c plays the role of a singularity
I searched on internet but couldn't find any paper explaining the theory and containing the equations
any one knows where to find it?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
Some time ago,I read among the news,that two physicists have extended SR to velocities greater than c in a way which is compatible with the original theory and still in their theory,v=c plays the role of a singularity
I searched on internet but couldn't find any paper explaining the theory and containing the equations
any one knows where to find it?
Thanks
I have not seen it, but perhaps you mean #153:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127314&page=10

Thanks harrylin
And I found the paper here

1. Can anything actually break the speed of light?

According to the current accepted theories of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, there are some proposed theories that suggest it may be possible to break the speed of light barrier using concepts like wormholes or the manipulation of spacetime. These theories are still highly debated and have not been proven.

2. What is the speed of light and how was it determined?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This value was first determined by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century by observing the varying speed of light from the moons of Jupiter as the Earth moved closer to or farther from them in its orbit. Today, the speed of light is measured using highly precise instruments such as lasers and atomic clocks.

3. How does breaking the speed of light relate to time travel?

Some theories suggest that by breaking the speed of light, it may be possible to travel through time. This is based on the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. If an object were to travel faster than the speed of light, it could potentially experience time moving backwards, resulting in time travel. However, this is purely theoretical and has not been proven.

4. What are the potential consequences of breaking the speed of light?

Breaking the speed of light would have significant consequences on our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could potentially lead to a complete re-evaluation of our current theories and open up new possibilities for space travel and communication. However, it could also have dangerous consequences if not understood and controlled properly.

5. How are scientists currently exploring the possibility of breaking the speed of light?

Scientists are continuously researching and testing new theories and concepts that could potentially lead to breaking the speed of light barrier. This includes experiments with particle accelerators, studying the properties of light and other fundamental particles, and exploring the concept of spacetime and its manipulation. However, much more research and evidence is needed before any conclusions can be made.