Extension Spring Force Calc: Diam/Len for 5lb Proj 25-30ft

In summary, the individual needs to determine the correct diameter and length of four extension springs in order to propel a 5lb weight 25-30ft. They do not have enough information as they do not know the spring constant, which is needed to calculate the required diameter and length of the springs. They can use conservation of energy and models for projectile motion to determine a ballpark spring constant requirement. They can also work backwards using conservation of momentum and ballistic equations to determine the spring constant and then use it to calculate the required diameter and length for each spring.
Z-inc
I need to determine the correct diameter and length of a combination of 4 extension springs to use in a projectile device. The springs must be able to extend to approx 3ft, and generate enough force to propel a set of objects that are 3ft in length and have an overall weight of approx 5lbs. The objects must be propelled approx 25-30ft.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
There is not enough information to answer your question.
You need to know how the spring constant of each spring depends on the diameter and length of the springs in question and how you are going to combine the four of them.

You can work out a ballpark spring constant requirement from the data using conservation of energy and a model for the projectile motion.

Extension Spring

I want to use two extention springs on either side of a metal bar to propell a 5lb weight 25 -30ft. I need to determine the diameter and length of the springs that will provide enough force to propell that 5lb object. Therefore, I don't know the spring constant. I'm not sure if that helps in what I am asking for.

Thanks for the reply.

You can work out what the spring constant needs to be using conservation of momentum and ballistic equations.

Work it backwards:
You know the maximum range ... what angle gives you the max range?
What muzzle velocity is needed at that angle to get the needed range?
(What were the assumptions and are they reasonable?)

From the muzzle velocity - what is the kinetic energy?
What is the equation for the amount of energy stored in a spring system with effective spring constant k? ... What is k?

This will be the spring constant for the system of two springs so - knowing k for the combination, what is k for each spring?

Now you know what each spring needs to be able to pull.
How is the spring constant related to the diameter and length of the springs?

1. How do you calculate the force of an extension spring?

The formula for calculating the force of an extension spring is: Force (in pounds) = (Modulus of Elasticity x Wire Diameter^4 x Length of Spring) / (8 x Number of Coils x Mean Diameter^3)

2. What is the significance of the spring's diameter and length in the calculation?

The diameter and length of the spring are important factors in the calculation because they affect the amount of deflection and the spring constant, which ultimately determine the force the spring can exert. A larger diameter and longer length will result in a higher force for the same weight project.

3. How does the weight of the project affect the force calculation?

The weight of the project is a crucial factor in determining the force required from the extension spring. The weight of the project should be within the range of the calculated force to ensure proper functioning of the spring.

4. What is the typical range for the length and diameter of an extension spring for a 5lb project at 25-30ft?

The typical length and diameter of an extension spring for a 5lb project at 25-30ft will depend on the specific requirements and specifications of the project. However, the length and diameter should be chosen in accordance with the calculated force to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an extension spring for a 5lb project at 25-30ft?

Yes, it is important to consider safety precautions when using an extension spring for any project. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for proper installation and usage. It is also important to regularly inspect the spring for any signs of wear or damage and replace it if necessary. Additionally, make sure the spring is not overstretched or compressed beyond its capacity, as this can lead to failure and potential injury.