What is the best way to size an extension spring with specific requirements?

In summary, Avis is looking for an extension spring with specific requirements, including a stainless steel material, 0.75 inch diameter, 5 1/2 inch rest length, and a force of 10lbs at 7 inches and no more than 20lbs at 10 inches. They ask for help with sizing and wire diameter. Two websites are recommended, stanleyspring.com and Century Spring's online spring calculator. Avis later shares that they found an off the shelf spring that meets most of their requirements. Another website, stanleyspring.com, is suggested as a potential source for the specific spring needed.
Avis
I'm in need of an extension spring with some specific requirments:

Material: Stainless Steel
Diameter 0.75inch
Rest Length: 5 1/2inch inside the hooks
At 7 inches a forcle of 10lbs
At 10 inches (full extension) a force of no more than 20lbs (As low as possible)

Any idea on how to size this spring? What diamter wire will it need to be etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Avis...I think you would be able to find what you're looking for at this website. They have a huge range of extension springs, and I've had success before. All the best!

http://stanleyspring.com/

Hey, thanks guys! I found an off the shelf spring that is almost perfect! Can't complain with that!

You might find luck at this site...

http://stanleyspring.com/

I know they have a lot of different springs. I'm not too sure if they have the type you're looking for, but I'm betting they do. Good luck, Avis!

1. How do you calculate the spring rate for an extension spring?

The spring rate for an extension spring can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the spring's deflection distance. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the spring's deflection distance.

2. What is the difference between initial tension and final tension in an extension spring?

Initial tension refers to the force that is already present in the spring when it is at its natural resting length. Final tension, on the other hand, is the force applied to the spring when it is extended to a certain length. The difference between the initial and final tension determines the amount of force needed to stretch the spring to a specific length.

3. How do you determine the maximum safe load for an extension spring?

The maximum safe load for an extension spring can be determined by dividing the minimum tensile strength of the spring material by the minimum safety factor. The safety factor is typically between 2 and 4, depending on the application and industry standards.

4. What is the recommended stress level for an extension spring?

The recommended stress level for an extension spring is typically between 20% and 80% of the spring's minimum tensile strength. This range ensures that the spring is not overstressed, which could lead to premature failure, while still allowing for efficient use of the spring's potential energy.

5. How do you take into account the spring's end type when sizing an extension spring?

The end type of an extension spring can affect its performance and sizing. For example, closed and squared ends can increase the spring's stability and load capacity, while open ends can provide more flexibility. When sizing an extension spring, it is important to consider the end type and its impact on the spring's functionality and intended use.