Extension theorem (Existence)

In summary, the conversation is about defining a sequence of functions (ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,...) based on assigning values (0 or 1) to atomic sentences using the function H. Each function in the sequence (except for ℑ0) is defined by using the previous function and assigning values to sentences of degree less than or equal to n+1. The domain of the function is the set of sentences with degree less than or equal to n. The conversation is part of a self-study of mathematical logic.
annoymage

Homework Statement

"Given a function H, assigning a value, 0 or 1, to each atomic sentence, define a sequence ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... of functions, as follows:
0 is just H.

Given a function ℑn, assigning a value, either 0 or 1, to the sentences of degree less than or equal to n, define the function ℑn+1, assigning a value, either 0 or 1, to the sentences of degree less than or equal to n+1, as follows: If φ has degree less than or equal to n, ℑn+1(φ) = ℑn(φ)."

I confused with the english, (sorry I'm not good in english). please clarify thisH({0,1}) = ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,...
(does this mean "Given a function H, assigning a value, 0 or 1, to each atomic sentence, define a sequence ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... of functions"?)

and what "as follows: ℑ0 is just H." means? as follows? does is mean "such as"?

and i'll post the next question after this answered, because i wan to clear this first.

i'm sorry but the concise language is too concise for me i guess. help

Physics news on Phys.org
A thought experiment

Let x - 2 = 0 from this it follows that x = 2.

Understand the meaning now ?

Let try to formulate this another way let [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] which is defined as follows

[tex] - 1 \leq x \leq 1 [/tex] that is the general meaning of the term "defined as follows" :)

so, anything after "as follows :" is the domain of the function?

which means,

H({0,1}) = {ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... }, and the domain is "ℑ0 is just H"

T_T i don't think it is correct of what i was doing

annoymage said:
so, anything after "as follows :" is the domain of the function?

which means,

H({0,1}) = {ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... }, and the domain is "ℑ0 is just H"

T_T i don't think it is correct of what i was doing

For which subject is this for? Discrete mathematics ?

hmm, I'm doing self-study, and i guess the subject is "Mathematical Logic".

annoymage said:
hmm, I'm doing self-study, and i guess the subject is "Mathematical Logic".

Thats not my field but found some notes online in more plain english...

http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/courses/math557/logic.pdf

Maybe they can help you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Extension Theorem?

The Extension Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is defined on a subset of a set, then it can be extended to a larger set while still preserving its properties.

2. Why is the Extension Theorem important?

The Extension Theorem is important because it allows us to extend functions to larger sets, which is useful in many areas of mathematics and science. It also helps us prove the existence of solutions to certain problems.

3. What are some examples of applications of the Extension Theorem?

One example is in the field of differential equations, where the Extension Theorem can be used to prove the existence of solutions. It is also used in topology, where it is used to extend continuous functions to larger spaces.

4. What are the conditions for the Extension Theorem to hold?

The Extension Theorem holds if the function is defined on a closed set and has a certain property, such as being continuous or measurable. The larger set must also have a specific structure, such as being a metric space or a topological space.

5. Are there any limitations to the Extension Theorem?

Yes, the Extension Theorem does have some limitations. It cannot be used to extend functions to arbitrary sets, and the extended function may not retain all of the properties of the original function. In some cases, the extended function may not even be unique.