1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension theorem (Existence)

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Given a function H, assigning a value, 0 or 1, to each atomic sentence, define a sequence ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... of functions, as follows:
    0 is just H.

Given a function ℑn, assigning a value, either 0 or 1, to the sentences of degree less than or equal to n, define the function ℑn+1, assigning a value, either 0 or 1, to the sentences of degree less than or equal to n+1, as follows: If φ has degree less than or equal to n, ℑn+1(φ) = ℑn(φ)."

I confused with the english, (sorry i'm not good in english). please clarify this

H({0,1}) = ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,...
    (does this mean "Given a function H, assigning a value, 0 or 1, to each atomic sentence, define a sequence ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... of functions"???)

and what "as follows: ℑ0 is just H." means? as follows? does is mean "such as"?

and i'll post the next question after this answered, because i wan to clear this first.

i'm sorry but the concise language is too concise for me i guess. help

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    A thought experiment

Let x - 2 = 0 from this it follows that x = 2.

Understand the meaning now ?

Let try to formulate this another way let [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] which is defined as follows

[tex] - 1 \leq x \leq 1 [/tex] that is the general meaning of the term "defined as follows" :)

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    so, anything after "as follows :" is the domain of the function?

which means,

H({0,1}) = {ℑ0, ℑ1, ℑ2, ℑ3,... }, and the domain is "ℑ0 is just H"

T_T i don't think it is correct of what i was doing

5. May 19, 2010 #4
    For which subject is this for? Discrete mathematics ?

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    hmm, i'm doing self-study, and i guess the subject is "Mathematical Logic".

7. May 19, 2010 #6
    Thats not my field but found some notes online in more plain english....

http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/courses/math557/logic.pdf [Broken]

Maybe they can help you :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook