Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extensometer research( )

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    Extensometer research(URGENT)

I have been asked to design an extensometer (relative displacement sensor) that uses a single beam as the structure and strain gages as the sensing elements. Design a suitable device and be sure to include a list of specifications for the strain gages used including circuitry, and input and output requirements. Also be sure to specify the material used for the beam and properties including material limits.

Is that Possible?

Any ideas any one...?

I've been trying to work on that since 3 weeks already and am at a loss...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Re: Extensometer research(URGENT)

Sure it's possible (and is already done) as long as the displacement isn't too much.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3

Hi Fred,

Could you direct me on where to find info on such extensometers. I have been trying to search but havenot been able to find any. Thank you

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Hi Fred,

Could you direct me on where to find info on such extensometers. I have been trying to search but havenot been able to find any. Thank you

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

7. Oct 26, 2009 #6

Yes I have done researches on my own, but the extensometers that I found and the ones present through your links, don't thay have two beams that act like arms?

That is why I kept getting confused as the question says to use a single beam. Correct me if I am wrong. Tahnk you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook