Extent of human radio broadcasts photo

In summary: It's because the angle of the picture is from the angle of the probe, not the angle of Earth. Why couldn't we take a picture from that angle? I mean, we have all these probes which take highly accurate pictures of Jupiter, Saturn and other stars. Why couldn't we...It's because the angle of the picture is from the angle of the probe, not the angle of Earth.
micromass said:
Why couldn't we take a picture from that angle?

My goodness, Micro. If I didn't know better. ... :rolleyes:

Anyway here is one of the presently most famous pictures of the Milky Way galaxy, taken by Dr. Axel Mellinger.
http://home.arcor.de/axel.mellinger/
"Between October 2007 and August 2009, I assembled a new digital all-sky mosaic image from more than 3000
individual CCD frames. Using an SBIG STL-11000 camera, 70 fields (each covering 40° × 27°) were imaged from
dark-sky locations in South Africa, Texas and Michigan."​

http://home.arcor.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan2_Aitoff_1200x600.jpg

========================

...I first saw this mosaic, in poster form, at the local telescope shop. My then-girlfriend, the telescope shop guy, and
myself were all admiring it.
...My then-girlfriend asked, "where's Earth?"
Before I could address her question the telescope shop guy pointed to somewhere in the picture and said, "I think
it's right around here."
... I thought to myself, "Ahhh, Jasus balls, no! Not the telescope shop guy!" I cried a little inside.

[Edit: Just in case you didn't get that, Earth (and the whole solar system for that matter) is not in the picture
Earth is where the camera is!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why the radio waves don't go further? It's just another EM wave, right?

Radio waves in a vacuum travel at the speed of light.

Evo said:
Radio waves in a vacuum travel at the speed of light.

Yes, so why are the radio broadcast limited to just the blue dot shown?

Edit: Nevermind. Just went through all the posts.

jobyts said:
Yes, so why are the radio broadcast limited to just the blue dot shown?

Edit: Nevermind. Just went through all the posts.
The thread title might have given you a hint. :biggrin:

Hi,

I'd like to correct my post above: After talking to some in the Astronomy forum, the original picture posted in the thread is what is believed to be a relatively accurate description of what the Milky-way would look like from a distance. It is however not quantitative as we cannot easily measure stellar distances in the galaxy beyond about 4000 light years and so is only a rendition. The picture is not some other galaxy as I original believed. Also, the picture of the Milky-way I was referring to above was similar to the picture posted by Collins above which is inside looking out at the Milky-way (I believe).