1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extent of Redshift

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1

Wes Tausend

Gold Member

How far can the Redshift phenomenon theoretically shift frequency? I believe I understand the doppler-like effect, but have never seen this question regarding extreme RF shift asked before.

One might think that if a relative object moved away very near the speed of light that the radio emission frequency might drop so low as to be very near subsonic levels. Or perhaps zero frequency at full lightspeed, if the weakened signals were somehow still detectable.

Thanks,
    Wes

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't see any reason why there should be a lower limit.

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3

TheDemx27

Gold Member

Well, if you look up the equation for the relativistic doppler effect, you will get something like this. If you plug in 299,792,457 m/s for v (1 m/s less than c), and let v_source be 1, you get a factor 24486.427. Hopefully this is what you meant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook