Exterior Covariant Derivative End(E)-Valued Forms

In summary, an exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form is a mathematical object that combines elements of exterior forms and vector bundles to describe geometric and physical quantities in a covariant manner. It differs from a regular exterior form by being defined on a vector bundle and incorporating the concept of a covariant derivative. Its applications include describing gauge fields and studying physical systems in curved spaces. The calculation of these forms involves tensor calculus and differential forms, and they are significant in modern physics, particularly in theories such as general relativity and gauge theories.
ergospherical
i) Let ##\pi : E \rightarrow M## be a vector bundle with a connection ##D## and let ##D'## be the gauge transform of ##D## given by ##D_v's = gD_v(g^{-1}s)##. Show that the exterior covariant derivative of ##E##-valued forms ##\eta## transforms like ##d_{D'} \eta = gd_D(g^{-1}\eta)##.
ii) Show that the exterior derivative of any ##\mathrm{End}(E)##-valued form ##\eta## transforms as ##d_{D'} \eta = g\eta g^{-1} d_D (g^{-1}\eta g)##.

i) Write ##\eta = s_I \otimes dx^I## where the ##s_I## are sections of the bundle ##\pi##. Then\begin{align*}
d_{D'} \eta &= d_{D'} s_I \wedge dx^I + s_I \otimes d^2 x^I \\
&= d_{D'} s_I \wedge dx^I \\
&= (D_{\mu} s_I) \otimes dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^I \\
&= gD_{\mu} (g^{-1}s_I) \otimes dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^I
\end{align*}Meanwhile ##g^{-1} \eta = g^{-1} s_I \wedge dx^I##, so\begin{align*}
g d_D(g^{-1} \eta) &= d_D (g^{-1}s_I) \wedge dx^I \\
&= g D_{\mu}(g^{-1}s_I) \otimes dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^I
\end{align*}ii) Write the connection as ##D = D^0 + A## for some ##\mathrm{End}(V)##-valued 1-form ##A##, then ##d_D \eta = d\eta + [A,\eta]##. Write ##\eta = s_I \otimes dx^I##. Then\begin{align*}
d_{D'} \eta = d\eta + [A', \eta]
\end{align*}How do I expand the expression ##d_D (g^{-1}\eta g)## on the right hand side? Can I view ##g^{-1} \eta g = (g^{-1} \eta) \wedge g## and write something like \begin{align*}
d_D(g^{-1}\eta g) = d_D(g^{-1} \eta) g + (-1)^p (g^{-1} \eta) \wedge d_D g
\end{align*}Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

To expand the expression ##d_D (g^{-1}\eta g)##, we can use the product rule for exterior derivatives and the fact that ##g## is a constant with respect to the exterior derivative. This gives us:\begin{align*}
d_D(g^{-1}\eta g) &= d_D(g^{-1}) \wedge \eta g + (-1)^p g^{-1} d_D(\eta) \wedge g + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)\\
&= (-1)^p g^{-1} d_D(\eta) \wedge g + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)
\end{align*}Note that we can use the fact that ##d_D(g^{-1}) = 0## since ##g## is a constant with respect to the connection ##D##. Now, using the transformation rule for the connection ##D'##, we have:\begin{align*}
d_{D'} \eta &= g^{-1} d_D(\eta) \wedge g + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g) + [A', \eta]\\
&= g^{-1} (d_D(\eta) + [A,\eta]) \wedge g + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)\\
&= g^{-1} (d_D(\eta) + [A,\eta]) \wedge g + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)\\
&= g \eta g^{-1} d_D(g^{-1}\eta g) + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)
\end{align*}Therefore, we have shown that ##d_{D'} \eta = g \eta g^{-1} d_D(g^{-1}\eta g) + (-1)^{p+1} g^{-1} \eta \wedge d_D(g)##.

1. What is an exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form?

An exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form is a mathematical object used in differential geometry and mathematical physics. It is a combination of an exterior covariant derivative and a vector-valued differential form, and it allows for the calculation of derivatives of vector fields on curved spaces.

2. How is an exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form different from a regular derivative?

An exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form takes into account the curvature of the space in which it is defined, while a regular derivative does not. This makes it more suitable for use in curved spaces, such as in general relativity.

3. What are some applications of exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued forms?

Exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued forms have many applications in physics and mathematics, including in general relativity, gauge theories, and differential geometry. They are also used in the study of differential equations and in the calculation of curvature and torsion of spaces.

4. How is an exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form calculated?

The calculation of an exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued form involves using the exterior derivative and the connection on the space in question. The connection is a mathematical object that describes how vectors change as they are transported along a curve on a curved space.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued forms?

One limitation of exterior covariant derivative end(E)-valued forms is that they are only defined on smooth manifolds, which are spaces that can be locally approximated by Euclidean space. They also require the use of a connection, which may not always be well-defined or easy to calculate.