The Exterior Covariant Derivative: Understanding Connections and Fibre Bundles

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of exterior covariant derivative and its definition within the context of a connection over a fibre bundle. The speaker also mentions the role of horizontal and vertical components and recommends Nakahara's book as a resource for further understanding.
matness
Can you give me the definition of exterior covariant derivative or any reference web page ?

Wiki does not involve enough info.I am not able to do calculation with respect to given definition there.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The wikipedia article seems relatively complete to me. What specifically don't you understand about it?

Because the definition of connection in my mind is : "a bilinear connection satisfying certain properties."
I don't know what horizantal/ vertical component mean exactly.
what do "D" to a p-form for example?
I need a definition or explanation using indices at first, because i am trying to understand smt related to physics.

matness said:
Because the definition of connection in my mind is : "a bilinear connection satisfying certain properties."

Then it sounds as though you're familiar with the concept of a connection only within the context of a connection on a differentiable manifold. To understand the idea of a covariant exterior connection you'll need to understand the more general idea of a connection over a fibre bundle. It would, in my opinion, be a waste of time to attempt to do what you're asking without even a basic idea of what a connection over a fibre bundle is; to be more precise, you'll need to know what a connection over a [itex]G[/itex]-bundle is in order to be able to appreciate the idea of a covariant exterior derivative.

By the way, the "horizontal" and "vertical" bits refer to a decomposition technique used when looking at subspaces over a fibre bundle. Nakahara's book has a decent introduction to this.

What is an exterior covariant derivative?

An exterior covariant derivative is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry to calculate the change of a vector or tensor field along a given direction or curve. It takes into account the curvature of the space and is often used in the study of smooth manifolds.

How is an exterior covariant derivative different from an ordinary derivative?

An exterior covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the space, whereas an ordinary derivative does not. It also takes into account the orientation of the space, making it more suitable for use in curved spaces such as curved surfaces or manifolds.

In what fields is the concept of exterior covariant derivative used?

The concept of exterior covariant derivative is used in various fields such as differential geometry, relativity, and gauge theories. It is also used in physics to describe the behavior of physical quantities in curved spaces.

What are some real-world applications of the exterior covariant derivative?

The exterior covariant derivative is used in various applications, such as in the study of the gravitational field around massive objects, the behavior of electromagnetic fields in curved space, and the analysis of fluid flow in non-Euclidean spaces.

Are there any limitations or challenges in using the exterior covariant derivative?

One limitation of the exterior covariant derivative is that it can only be applied to smooth manifolds and cannot be extended to non-smooth manifolds. Another challenge is that it requires a good understanding of differential geometry and tensor calculus to use effectively.