Find ext(A) for (R,dPO) with A=(0,1): Explanation and Solution

• Thread starter caduceus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: So in summary, the question is asking how to find the exterior of a set A in the post-office metric (dPO). The formula for finding the exterior of a set is ext(A) = int(A^C). The given answer is int(A^C) = (-∞,0) ∪ [1,+∞), which means that 0 is not included in the interior of A^C. This is because for any interval around 0, there are elements from A that cannot be approximated by only elements from A^C. On the other hand, for any other point in A^C, there exists a ball around it that consists only of that point, making it an interior point.
caduceus

Homework Statement

(R,dPO) - i.e. with post-office metric

A=(0,1)

My question is how to find ext(A)

Homework Equations

ext(A)=int(Ac)

dPO(x,y)= |x|+|y| for x[tex]\neq[/tex]y and 0 for x=y

The Attempt at a Solution

As from the definition of an interior point, st.

For every a[tex]\in[/tex]A and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exists an open set B st. a[tex]\in[/tex]B(a,[tex]\epsilon[/tex])[tex]\subset[/tex]A then a is called an interior point of A.

Ac = (-[tex]\infty[/tex],0][tex]\cup[/tex][1,+[tex]\infty[/tex])

So we can create an open set st.;

Take [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=1/2 and a=0 and a=1, respectively;

B(0,1/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< 1/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< 1/2 for x=0}=(-1/2,1/2)

for this I am not sure wheter I should take x not equal to 0 or x=0. But for x not equal to 0, Ac obviously covers the open set, so I take x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and

B(1,1/2)={x in Ac : |x|+|1|< 1/2 for x not equal to 1 and 0< 1/2 for x=1} = {1} since |x|+|1|< 1/2 ---> |x|< -1/2 isn't correct. So 1 is included.

So, Ac covers each ball. That is, both 1 and 0 are the interior points of Ac and as a result;

My answer is;

int(Ac)= (-infty,0] (union) [1,+infty )

But the given answer is;

int(Ac)= (- infty ,0) (union) [1,+ infty )

I probably set some wrong logic here, could you help me why 0 is not included in int(Ac) ?

And for the open set;

B(0,1/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< 1/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< 1/2 for x=0}=(-1/2,1/2)

What if i take {0} instead of (-1/2,1/2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that B(0,1/2)=(-1/2,1/2). But A^C doesn't cover that ball. It also contains points from A. Can you show for any r>0 B(0,r) also contains points from A? That would say 0 is NOT in int(A^C) wouldn't it?

So you mean, since we cannot approximate zero by only the elements of Ac

for any r>0;

B(0,r)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< r for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< r for x=0}=(-r,r)

Then for the interval (-r,r) around 0, there exist many elements from A.

Even though we can take r as small as we want, there exists elements from A. Thats why zero is not included, right?

caduceus said:
So you mean, since we cannot approximate zero by only the elements of Ac

for any r>0;

B(0,r)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< r for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< r for x=0}=(-r,r)

Then for the interval (-r,r) around 0, there exist many elements from A.

Even though we can take r as small as we want, there exists elements from A. Thats why zero is not included, right?

Right. And since B(1,1/2)={1} and 1 is not in A, 1 is included. Can you show any other point x of A^C has a ball around itself consisting only of x, just like 1?

Actually it should work for and point in Ac except 0, for instance, for simplicity, we can take r=|a|/2 and we can take |a| instead of 1, then,

B(|a|,|a|/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|+|a|< |a|/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] |a| and 0< |a|/2 for x=|a|}={|a|} since again |x|+|a|< |a|/2 is not correct.

caduceus said:
Actually it should work for and point in Ac except 0, for instance, for simplicity, we can take r=|a|/2 and we can take |a| instead of 1, then,

B(|a|,|a|/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|+|a|< |a|/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] |a| and 0< |a|/2 for x=|a|}={|a|} since again |x|+|a|< |a|/2 is not correct.

You've got the right idea. But you want B(a,|a|/2). B(|a|,|a|/2) isn't a ball around a, it's a ball around |a|.

1. What is ext(A)?

Ext(A) stands for the extension of the set A. It is a measure of the largest possible subset of a given set that can be obtained by adding a single element to the set. In other words, it is the set of all possible elements that can be added to set A without changing its properties.

2. How do you find ext(A) for a given set A?

To find ext(A) for a given set A, you need to first determine the properties of the set A. Then, you can add different elements to the set and see which ones do not change its properties. The set of these elements will be the extension of A.

3. What is R and dPO in the context of finding ext(A)?

R and dPO are mathematical concepts used to define the properties of a set. R stands for the relation on the set, while dPO stands for the partial order on the set. These concepts are important in determining the extension of a set as they help in identifying which elements can be added to the set without changing its properties.

4. How does A=(0,1) affect the calculation of ext(A)?

The set A=(0,1) has only two elements, 0 and 1. This means that the extension of this set will also have only two elements, as any other element added to the set would change its properties. Therefore, the ext(A) for this set would be the set itself, {0,1}.

5. Can you provide an example of finding ext(A) for a different set?

Sure, let's say we have the set A={2,4,6}. We can add different elements to this set and see which ones do not change its properties. We find that we can add 8 and 10 without changing the properties of the set, so the extension of A would be {2,4,6,8,10}.