1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Exterior of a set

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(R,dPO) - i.e. with post-office metric

A=(0,1)

My question is how to find ext(A)

2. Relevant equations

ext(A)=int(Ac)

dPO(x,y)= |x|+|y| for x[tex]\neq[/tex]y and 0 for x=y

3. The attempt at a solution

As from the definition of an interior point, st.

For every a[tex]\in[/tex]A and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exists an open set B st. a[tex]\in[/tex]B(a,[tex]\epsilon[/tex])[tex]\subset[/tex]A then a is called an interior point of A.

Ac = (-[tex]\infty[/tex],0][tex]\cup[/tex][1,+[tex]\infty[/tex])

So we can create an open set st.;

Take [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=1/2 and a=0 and a=1, respectively;

B(0,1/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< 1/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< 1/2 for x=0}=(-1/2,1/2)

for this I am not sure wheter I should take x not equal to 0 or x=0. But for x not equal to 0, Ac obviously covers the open set, so I take x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0

and

B(1,1/2)={x in Ac : |x|+|1|< 1/2 for x not equal to 1 and 0< 1/2 for x=1} = {1} since |x|+|1|< 1/2 ---> |x|< -1/2 isn't correct. So 1 is included.

So, Ac covers each ball. That is, both 1 and 0 are the interior points of Ac and as a result;

My answer is;

int(Ac)= (-infty,0] (union) [1,+infty )

But the given answer is;

int(Ac)= (- infty ,0) (union) [1,+ infty )

I probably set some wrong logic here, could you help me why 0 is not included in int(Ac) ?

And for the open set;

B(0,1/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< 1/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< 1/2 for x=0}=(-1/2,1/2)

What if i take {0} instead of (-1/2,1/2)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right that B(0,1/2)=(-1/2,1/2). But A^C doesn't cover that ball. It also contains points from A. Can you show for any r>0 B(0,r) also contains points from A? That would say 0 is NOT in int(A^C) wouldn't it?

4. Jun 30, 2010 #3
    So you mean, since we cannot approximate zero by only the elements of Ac

for any r>0;

B(0,r)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|< r for x [tex]\neq[/tex] 0 and 0< r for x=0}=(-r,r)

Then for the interval (-r,r) around 0, there exist many elements from A.

Even though we can take r as small as we want, there exists elements from A. Thats why zero is not included, right?

5. Jun 30, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. And since B(1,1/2)={1} and 1 is not in A, 1 is included. Can you show any other point x of A^C has a ball around itself consisting only of x, just like 1?

6. Jun 30, 2010 #5
    Actually it should work for and point in Ac except 0, for instance, for simplicity, we can take r=|a|/2 and we can take |a| instead of 1, then,

B(|a|,|a|/2)={x [tex]\in[/tex] Ac : |x|+|a|< |a|/2 for x [tex]\neq[/tex] |a| and 0< |a|/2 for x=|a|}={|a|} since again |x|+|a|< |a|/2 is not correct.

7. Jun 30, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got the right idea. But you want B(a,|a|/2). B(|a|,|a|/2) isn't a ball around a, it's a ball around |a|.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook