Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External Cavity Laser

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hello,

How does an external cavity laser produce ultra narrow line width when it's larger cavity should reduce the free spectral range and thus introduce more longitudinal modes?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The external cavity lasers I am familiar with are diode lasers that have an external diffraction grating and vertical-cavity surface emitting lasers that use an external distributed Bragg reflector:

http://www.rp-photonics.com/external_cavity_diode_lasers.html

The external diffractive element provides the mechanism for narrowing the linewidth.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My understanding was that the diffraction grating just provided a means of tuning the central wavelength. I thought that perhaps the fact that the cavity was external was the key to offering ultra narrow linewidth ... although seems counter intuitive since a shorter cavity would promote fewer longitudinal modes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook