Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External computer control

  1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    I was recently having problems with a program for my school, so I called one of the school tech guys to get some help about it. We had a long talk, and eventually, he asked me for some other informations about my computer including my IP address (I can't remember the other stuff). He then told me to let go of my mouse, and then my computer started doing things on its own.

    I know there are programs that allow you to do this with other people's computers because at my old school, an admin would use it to monitor the school's computers, and one of my classmates had a Microsoft Word conversation with her.

    I was wondering what this program is called, and how I can get a hold of it :biggrin:.

    EDIT: I found the program. This is gonna be fun.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    There are two main ones.
    WindowsXP has a built in client for remote desktop, this lets you takeover a remote computer and use the keyboard and mouse - but it blanks the screen.
    There are commercial versions from Cytrix that let you keep the local screen on, of you are on a university net with an MS domain that is most likely.
    The remote user has to have a login on your computer, or in this case a domain account.

    There is also a free program called VNC which allows anyone to connect to your computer (with a passwd) and you can both share the screen, keyb and mouse. The advantage of this is that it runs on windows/Linux/Mac and the machines at each end can be different types.
  4. Jan 11, 2008 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    These kinds of programs require that some kind of service is running on the target computer -- you cannot just go control other peoples' computers at random, because, obviously, that would be a huge security problem.

    - Warren
  5. Jan 11, 2008 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Windows has a "remote assistance" applet which, I assume, is based off the remote desktop applet (remote desktop came first). Obviously, what Warren says about it is correct: the service needs to be enabled and you need admin level access to access it (ie, the admin username and password).
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  7. Jan 22, 2008 #6
    Here at work we use Dameware, at other jobs i've been at where i had to remote to someone's machine, we used Windows SMS client.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook