1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External interdetermidiate

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this example , the author said that we can choose either G or E as redundant and ignore the force when we are doing the analysis ...
    I was told by my lecturer that when we are choosing the redundant forces , it''s important that after removing the redundant force , the whole structure remain stable .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hoewever , I think that we can choose the force at E as redudant and remove it when we are doing the analysis. This is because by doing so , the whole structure would become unstable . So , I think we can only choose the support at G as redundant force

Attached Files:

• 597.PNG
      597.PNG
      File size:
      45 KB
      Views:
    • 598.PNG
      598.PNG
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
    • 599.png
      599.png
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2017 #2
    Why would removing E make it unstable? If you remove E, the pin at A would be 'pulled' upwards and the support at G would have a greater weight on it. That's not unstable at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted