Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External Reaction of Truss

1. Apr 18, 2017 #1
    Hey guys,

Sorry for this newbie question, I would to ask how to I obtain the reaction of the pinned connection of A, B, and C (See attachment)? Do I really have to use Force-Method? I actually attempted to use Moment at different places and do simultaneously (Idk if it's the right thing to do) but apparently I got Ay = 38.07kN, By = 37.39kN and Cy = 0, which I think it is wrong, can anybody help?

Thanks.

-DL
    truss.PNG

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The truss is externally statically indeterminate with 6 unknown reaction forces and just 3 equations of equilibrium, so you have to resort to a painstaking indeterminate analysis using a method of your choice.

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Jay! I've been studying stiffness method to solve for this question. But I have several question that I would like to ask, (see attachment)
    truss_2.png
    truss_3.png

From the truss, I put them into global coordinate, and named the member (in square), but I would like to ask about the arrow for Near and Far (in Cyan), is there ways to determine or is it assumed by ourselves? Thanks!

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4
    nodal analysis is how one would do it but as said if there are too many unknowns than knowns, computational methods may have to be used. I know sometimes with complicated trusses using matrices can be an adequate tool I believe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted