External USB HDD has to be FAT

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hdd Usb
In summary: Just be aware that if you format to NTFS and then try to use it with another OS, it may not work properly.
cobalt124
I'm planning to use a HDD (IDE, NTFS) removed from an IBM Thinkpad as an external backup device through USB. The instructions that came with my hard drive enclosure state I must reformat to FAT16 or FAT32 before placing in the enclosure. Is there a technical reason why it cannot be NTFS? Is it just for compatibility reasons? Google has not provided a clear answer so far. I found one forum which suggested NTFS extrnal drives and XP (this will be connected to XP and W7 machines at least) "do not play well together", but was inconclusive. Anyone come across this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's nothing stopping you from making the drive NTFS. By default, windows sets USB drives for quick removal, so you can just unplug the drive from the system without worrying about anything.
NTFS, like nsaspook said, has write caching enabled so you MUST always use the "Safely remove" option when removing the drive and places your data at risk if you don't properly close all the connections before disconnecting the drive.

To format a USB drive as NTFS, you first need to be logged into an admin account. Open up the device manager, expand disk drive, right click your USB drive and select properties. Under the policies tab, select Better Performance.

cobalt124 said:
The instructions that came with my hard drive enclosure state I must reformat to FAT16 or FAT32 before placing in the enclosure. Is there a technical reason why it cannot be NTFS?

It might be possible that the firmware in the external drive enclosure wasn't written to know what to do with anything other than a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted drive.

There may be no way of knowing, other than potentially sacrificing the drive and enclosure by trying to do exactly what the documentation says not to do and seeing what the enclosure does with an NTFS formatted drive. But, since you probably want to depend on the data you write to that drive, you may want to decide how to determine whether you saved data will be there later when you need it.

Thanks for the responses. If push comes to shove I can just play safe and format the drive to FAT32 and use it. I just thought it would be useful to have a spare bootable XP drive as well as I don't need a large amount of disc space for backup (family photos mainly). Bill, are you saying if I experiment with NTFS there is a possibility I could physically destroy the enclosure and/or the drive, as opposed to just data loss, which is avoidable if I experiment?

You won't damage the enclosure. I don't see how the enclosure would care what file system you use on the drive anyway; it works on a lower level than that. Most likely it will work fine.

1. What is FAT and why does my external USB HDD have to be formatted with it?

FAT (File Allocation Table) is a file system used to organize and manage data on storage devices. It is a common file system used on external USB HDDs because it is supported by most operating systems, making it easy to share files between different devices.

2. Can I use a different file system instead of FAT for my external USB HDD?

Yes, there are other file systems that can be used for external USB HDDs, such as NTFS and exFAT. However, these file systems may not be compatible with all operating systems, so it is important to check compatibility before formatting your HDD.

3. Will formatting my external USB HDD to FAT erase all my data?

Yes, formatting your HDD will erase all data on it. It is important to backup any important files before formatting your HDD.

4. How do I format my external USB HDD to FAT?

The process for formatting a HDD to FAT may vary depending on your operating system. In general, you can format your HDD by going to the disk management utility on your computer and selecting the option to format the drive. Make sure to select FAT as the file system before proceeding with the format.

5. Can I change the file system of my external USB HDD from FAT to something else?

Yes, you can change the file system of your HDD by reformatting it. However, this will erase all data on the drive, so make sure to backup any important files before proceeding. Also, keep in mind that the new file system may not be compatible with all devices.