What Forces Create Equilibrium at Point P?

• Thread starter ilkjester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude and direction of a third force that will create equilibrium at point P, given that a 32-N force at 25 degrees and a 36-N force at 75 degrees are acting concurrently. The solution involves using the law of cosines and basic trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the third force.
ilkjester

Homework Statement

A 32-N force acting at 25 degrees and a 36-N force acting at 75 degrees act concurrently on point p. What is the magnitude and direction of a third force that produces equilibrium at point P?

The teacher said that we had to know higher math then algebra 1 for this question. But could do it with the law of cosines. Just wondering if you guys could help me figure out how to do it.

Homework Equations

r^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos R

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to formulate your question more precisely. 25 deg to what?

I'll give you the formula: r^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab cox x, where x is the angle betwen the forces.

Now let's see you solve it.

I agree the question needs to be formulated more precisely. A diagram is your best friend.

Plus, I don't know about all of this formula hoo-haa.

Resolve the forces into their horizontal and vertical components.

Then solve.

All you need for this question is basic year 9 trigonometry and an understanding of vector addition.

ilkjester said:

Homework Statement

A 32-N force acting at 25 degrees and a 36-N force acting at 75 degrees act concurrently on point p. What is the magnitude and direction of a third force that produces equilibrium at point P?

The teacher said that we had to know higher math then algebra 1 for this question. But could do it with the law of cosines. Just wondering if you guys could help me figure out how to do it.

Homework Equations

r^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos R

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation you have quoted is slightly erroneous, if symbols have their usual meaning.

The relevant equation should be r^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2*a*b*cos R. Use it (and forget what your teacher said) to get the magnitude of the third force. Note, (i) 'R' is the angle between the two forces. (ii) and magnitude of a force is always positive.

As far as direction goes, rightly quoted by "tyco05", knowledge of basic trigonometry would do.
Direction of the resultant,Φ, with one of the forces (say A), is given by (Let other force be B and angle between A and B be "R".):
tanΦ = (B*SinR)/(A + B*CosR).

Therefore, the third force, which will produce equilibrium at point P, would be in the opposite direction to this resultant force.

I hope, now you can manage to get that 'extra credit'. Cheers!

Last edited:

What is an "Extra Credit Test Question"?

An "Extra Credit Test Question" is a bonus question that is included on a test or exam to give students an opportunity to earn extra points towards their final grade. It is usually more challenging than the regular test questions and is meant to reward students who have a deeper understanding of the material.

How do extra credit test questions affect my grade?

Depending on your professor's grading system, extra credit test questions can positively impact your overall grade by adding points or percentage to your final score. It is important to read the instructions carefully and put in your best effort to earn as many points as possible.

Are extra credit test questions mandatory?

No, extra credit test questions are usually optional. It is up to the individual student to decide if they want to attempt the extra credit question or not. However, it is always a good idea to give it a try as it can only benefit your grade.

How are extra credit test questions different from regular test questions?

Extra credit test questions are typically more difficult and require a deeper understanding of the material. They are also not required to be completed in order to pass the test, unlike regular test questions. Additionally, extra credit test questions often have a higher point value than regular questions.

How can I prepare for extra credit test questions?

To prepare for extra credit test questions, it is important to thoroughly study and understand the material covered in class. This will give you a better chance of being able to answer the extra credit question correctly. It is also helpful to review any additional materials or resources provided by your professor.