1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Extra dimensions reference

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    Hello all

I hope you can help me with this query. I would like to find an introductory text in extra dimensions. I am taking a course in BSM and I have been referred to: C. Csaki, TASI lectures on extra dimensions and branes, hep-ph/0404096, but I was hoping to find something more introductory.
    The material I'm hoping to find (what was covered in the lectures) is:
    • KK-reduction (scalar field)
    • Compactification on an interval (orbifold S1/Z2)
    • Interactions (briefly. How does the phi fourth and phi cube couplings look like in 4D)
    • Gauge fields (how you can get a scalar from a gauge field)
    • Fermions in 5D (how to get a chiral theory in 4D).
    • Large extra dimensions
    I specially have trouble assimilating the orbifold concept and the gauge fields parts. Do you know any text I can use to backup my notes?

Thank you for your attention.
    Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2
    A lot of the information on KK-reduction can be gathered from Chris Pope's lecture notes. http://people.physics.tamu.edu/pope/ihplec.pdf

He explicitly performs a dimensional reduction from D=11 sugra to D=10 over a circle.
    Next he also looks at reductions on an n-torus which shows the cascading effect of extra fields showing up.

He doesn't treat orbifolds, interactions (which is quite disconnected in this list as they are toy-models in regular QFT).
    Same for fermions in 5D and large extra dimensions.

For a lot of the latter material I'm unaware of detailed, pedagogical resources.
    Fermions in 5D should be doable by yourself, I enjoyed the approach in the book by Freedman and van Proeyen which really builds up towards sugra.
    In chapter 5 (maybe 6) they look at Rarita-Schwinger fields in great detail before looking at dimensional reduction of all ingredients introduced before.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    Thank you, I will take a look at it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted