Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra-galactic Meteror?

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    Somehow, I find news items such as this one much more interesting to read than those about maps of dark-matter halos and things of that nature. (Not that I'm uninterested in the latter.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it something you want to discuss / ask ?
  4. Jan 25, 2008 #3
    Just posting a news item (I thought this was a bit serious for GD. :biggrin:), although a discussion would be good. It's not confirmed to be an extra-galactic meteor, and hence the '?'.
  5. Jan 25, 2008 #4
    Might have just been moving 80kps with respect to the center of the galaxy.

I don't see why it isn't possible for an extragalactic meteor to hit us, with tons of debris floating around up there. Pretty cool stuff imo.
  6. Jan 25, 2008 #5
    I am skeptical. The article largely bases the extra-galactic conclusion on the high velocity, but then they go on to analyze 246 meteors in 36 hours and claim 12 may have been extra-galactic based on velocity alone. That seems very improbable.

Then they bolster the extra-galactic conclusion on the spectra showing the composition of iron, magnesium, and oxygen; but that is what is found in meteorites routinely.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?