Solving for h: V and tnα, d Given

• Thread starter thomasJDN
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the extraction of "h" from a given equation. The equation is a cubic in "h", making it nontrivial to isolate the variable. However, it is noted that every term in the equation contains "h" and therefore, the non-zero solutions can be found by factoring a quadratic equation. The conversation concludes with the realization that the non-zero value of "V" must also be considered in the solution process.
thomasJDN
hi
can someone help me to extract h from the folowing equetion

V= (∏ tnα² h³)/3 + (∏ tnα d h²)/2 + ( ∏ d² h)/4

thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey thomasJDN and welcome to the forums.

It would help if you said what your dummy index was for the multiplication as well as the limits.

im sorry i didnt mean extract
i mean isolate

The equation is a cubic in h, so isolating h entails factoring the cubic, which is nontrivial.

Mark44 said:
The equation is a cubic in h, so isolating h entails factoring the cubic, which is nontrivial.

yes, but every term contains a h, so the non-zero solutions are the roots of a quadratic, which is somewhat easier.

Not if that "V" is non-zero!

HallsofIvy said:
Not if that "V" is non-zero!

silly me. you're right of course.

1. What does "solving for h" mean?

"Solving for h" means finding the value of the variable h in a mathematical equation. In this case, we are trying to find the value of h when given the variables V, tnα, and d.

2. What is the purpose of solving for h in this context?

Solving for h in this context allows us to determine the height of an object or the distance between two objects when we know the variables V, tnα, and d.

3. How do you solve for h when given the variables V, tnα, and d?

To solve for h, we can use the formula h = V * tnα * d. This formula represents the relationship between the variables and allows us to find the value of h by plugging in the known values for V, tnα, and d.

4. What is the significance of V and tnα in this equation?

V represents the initial velocity of the object and tnα represents the sine of the angle of launch. These variables are important in determining the height of the object and their values will affect the final result for h.

5. Can this equation be used for any object or situation?

Yes, this equation can be used for any object or situation where we know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and distance traveled. However, it is important to note that this equation is only accurate for objects moving in a uniform gravitational field.