Extracted energy of Uranium

In summary, the conversation discusses the extraction of energy from Uranium-235 through nuclear fission and the creation of radioactive waste, specifically Xe and Sr. The equation and binding energies are provided for reference. The main questions revolve around calculating the proportion of extracted energy and the amount of waste produced, taking into account the 50% efficiency and global electricity consumption data. The total energy of Uranium-235 is also mentioned as 1786 MeV.
element1945

Homework Statement

What proportion of the total energy in Uranium-235 is extracted through nuclear fission?

In 2001, the world electricity consumption was 13.81 trillion kWh. Assuming 50% efficiency in converting and distributing the power, and imagining that all production was nuclear, how many kg of radioactive waste (Xe and Sr) would have been created?

Homework Equations

1 n + 235U -> 140Xe + 94Sr + 2 n + gamma

1 MeV = 1.602x10^-13 J
1 kWh = 3.6x10^6 J

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the reaction and the binding energies the released energy is equal to 175 MeV.

how do i calculate the proportion of the extracted and total energy?

how do i use the % of efficiency and the global production to calculate the waste?
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
i forgot that the total energy of Uranium is the binding energy i think that is 1786 MeV.

i don't know how to relate the total and the released energy, and how to relate the 50% efficiency with the released energy and the global consumption... please help :(?

What is the extracted energy of Uranium?

The extracted energy of Uranium refers to the amount of energy that can be produced by breaking down Uranium atoms through nuclear reactions. This energy can then be used to generate electricity or power various technological processes.

How is energy extracted from Uranium?

Energy is extracted from Uranium through a process called nuclear fission. This involves splitting the nucleus of Uranium atoms, which releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat. This heat is then used to produce steam, which turns a turbine and generates electricity.

What is the main advantage of using Uranium as a source of energy?

The main advantage of using Uranium as a source of energy is that it is a highly concentrated energy source. This means that a small amount of Uranium can produce a large amount of energy, making it a cost-effective option for producing electricity.

What are the potential risks associated with extracting energy from Uranium?

The main potential risks associated with extracting energy from Uranium are related to nuclear waste and the possibility of accidents or meltdowns at nuclear power plants. The disposal of nuclear waste is a major environmental concern, and accidents can have serious consequences for both human health and the environment.

Is Uranium a renewable or non-renewable energy source?

Uranium is considered a non-renewable energy source because it is a finite resource that cannot be replenished once it is used. However, with advancements in nuclear technology, it is possible to recycle and reuse Uranium, making it a more sustainable option compared to other non-renewable energy sources such as fossil fuels.