1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extracted energy of Uranium

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What proportion of the total energy in Uranium-235 is extracted through nuclear fission?

In 2001, the world electricity consumption was 13.81 trillion kWh. Assuming 50% efficiency in converting and distributing the power, and imagining that all production was nuclear, how many kg of radioactive waste (Xe and Sr) would have been created?

2. Relevant equations

1 n + 235U -> 140Xe + 94Sr + 2 n + gamma

1 MeV = 1.602x10^-13 J
    1 kWh = 3.6x10^6 J

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the reaction and the binding energies the released energy is equal to 175 MeV.

how do i calculate the proportion of the extracted and total energy?

how do i use the % of efficiency and the global production to calculate the waste?
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2
    i forgot that the total energy of Uranium is the binding energy i think that is 1786 MeV.

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    i dont know how to relate the total and the released energy, and how to relate the 50% efficiency with the released energy and the global consumption.... please help :(?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?