1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extracting the information

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

suppose f(x) = x2 and let I = [0,2]

i) if partition I is subdivided into n subintervals of equal length, write down the length of each subinterval,[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

ii) if ci , is the left endpoint of subinterval i, find ci . hence find f(ci)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

i) length of subintervals, Ta = ([tex]\frac{2a}{n^2}[/tex])2 , a=1,2,..,n

ii) i don't understand what the question want, left endpoint of subinterval i, what actually "subinterval i"?? owho help im not really god in english

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The interval I is [0, 2]. Its length is 2. If you divide this interval into n smaller pieces (subintervals), each of the same length, how long is each one of the subintervals?

For example, if there are 10 subintervals, each would be 2/10 = 0.2 units in length.
    If you know how long each subinterval is you can identify the left and right endpoint of each subinterval. Using my example, if n = 10, the subintervals are [0. 0.2], [0.2, 0,4], and so forth up to the last one, [1.8, 2.0].

You need to work this out more generally, using n subintervals, not a constant number like I used.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    owh i thought its the length of y, ngahaha, i really need to improve my english,
    if in that case, each length delta x = 2/n

i see i see, then ci should be

ci = 2i/n , i = 0,1,2,...,(n-1)

right?

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This will give you the left endpoints of the subintervals, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook