Extracting the information

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary: And to find f(ci) you just plug these values into the function f(x) = x^2. So f(ci) = (2i/n)^2. And since each subinterval has a length of 2/n, you can write this as f(ci)*2/n. Does that make sense?
annoymage

Homework Statement

suppose f(x) = x2 and let I = [0,2]

i) if partition I is subdivided into n subintervals of equal length, write down the length of each subinterval,[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

ii) if ci , is the left endpoint of subinterval i, find ci . hence find f(ci)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i) length of subintervals, Ta = ([tex]\frac{2a}{n^2}[/tex])2 , a=1,2,..,n

ii) i don't understand what the question want, left endpoint of subinterval i, what actually "subinterval i"?? owho help I am not really god in english

Physics news on Phys.org
annoymage said:

Homework Statement

suppose f(x) = x2 and let I = [0,2]

i) if partition I is subdivided into n subintervals of equal length, write down the length of each subinterval,[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

ii) if ci , is the left endpoint of subinterval i, find ci . hence find f(ci)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i) length of subintervals, Ta = ([tex]\frac{2a}{n^2}[/tex])2 , a=1,2,..,n
The interval I is [0, 2]. Its length is 2. If you divide this interval into n smaller pieces (subintervals), each of the same length, how long is each one of the subintervals?

For example, if there are 10 subintervals, each would be 2/10 = 0.2 units in length.
annoymage said:
ii) i don't understand what the question want, left endpoint of subinterval i, what actually "subinterval i"?? owho help I am not really god in english
If you know how long each subinterval is you can identify the left and right endpoint of each subinterval. Using my example, if n = 10, the subintervals are [0. 0.2], [0.2, 0,4], and so forth up to the last one, [1.8, 2.0].

You need to work this out more generally, using n subintervals, not a constant number like I used.

Mark44 said:
The interval I is [0, 2]. Its length is 2. If you divide this interval into n smaller pieces (subintervals), each of the same length, how long is each one of the subintervals?

owh i thought its the length of y, ngahaha, i really need to improve my english,
if in that case, each length delta x = 2/n

Mark44 said:
For example, if there are 10 subintervals, each would be 2/10 = 0.2 units in length.
If you know how long each subinterval is you can identify the left and right endpoint of each subinterval. Using my example, if n = 10, the subintervals are [0. 0.2], [0.2, 0,4], and so forth up to the last one, [1.8, 2.0].

You need to work this out more generally, using n subintervals, not a constant number like I used.

i see i see, then ci should be

ci = 2i/n , i = 0,1,2,...,(n-1)

right?

This will give you the left endpoints of the subintervals, yes.

1. What is meant by "extracting information" in the context of science?

In science, "extracting information" refers to the process of gathering, organizing, and analyzing data or evidence in order to draw meaningful conclusions or make predictions.

2. What are some common methods used to extract information in scientific research?

Some common methods used to extract information in scientific research include experiments, surveys, observations, and data analysis techniques such as statistical analysis and computer modeling.

3. Why is it important to accurately extract information in science?

Accurate extraction of information is crucial in science because it allows researchers to make reliable conclusions and predictions, which can then be used to inform further research and advancements in the field.

4. What are some challenges that scientists may face when extracting information?

Some challenges that scientists may face when extracting information include obtaining accurate and representative data, dealing with bias or errors in data collection or analysis, and interpreting complex or conflicting results.

5. How can scientists ensure the validity of the information they extract?

Scientists can ensure the validity of the information they extract by following established research methods and protocols, using reliable and validated tools and techniques, and critically evaluating and peer-reviewing their findings before publishing them.