Extracting thickness of glass and index of refraction from Cartesian Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a graph in Excel and using it to analyze the slope and intercept of a trendline. The equation of the trendline is y=mx + b = (-0.0084)x + 5.54. The goal is to understand the thickness and index of refraction of a mirror based on this equation.
kgal

Homework Statement

I made a graph in Excel which graphs (1/x^2) vs (1/cos^2 (angle of incidence)).
From the graph I am supposed to analyze the slope and intercept of the straight line.
I made a trendline which came out to be y=mx + b = (-0.0084)x + 5.54.
From this equation I'm supposed to understand what the thickness of the mirror was in the experiment and what the index of refraction of the mirror is.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused as to how I would use the slope and intercept of the equation to figure out what the thickness of the mirror is and what the index of refraction of the mirror is. Could someone please explain this to me?

1. How do you extract the thickness of glass from a Cartesian graph?

To extract the thickness of glass from a Cartesian graph, you will need to look at the point where the graph intersects the x-axis. This point represents the thickness of the glass. You can measure the distance between this point and the origin of the graph to determine the thickness of the glass.

2. What is the index of refraction and how is it related to a Cartesian graph?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is related to a Cartesian graph because the slope of the graph can be used to calculate the index of refraction. The slope is equal to the inverse of the index of refraction.

3. Can you extract the index of refraction from a Cartesian graph?

Yes, you can extract the index of refraction from a Cartesian graph by finding the slope of the graph and taking the inverse of that value. This will give you the index of refraction for the material being measured.

4. How do you interpret the results from extracting the thickness of glass and index of refraction from a Cartesian graph?

The thickness of glass and index of refraction can provide valuable information about the material being measured. The thickness of the glass can indicate the density or weight of the glass, while the index of refraction can provide insights into the optical properties of the material.

5. What are some potential sources of error when extracting the thickness of glass and index of refraction from a Cartesian graph?

Potential sources of error include inaccuracies in measurements, variations in the material being measured, and limitations in the experimental setup. It is important to take multiple measurements and use proper calibration techniques to minimize these errors.