Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extraction equipment

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

I have a question as to what container I can use to do the extract a drug from a solvent layer in. (via shaking with another solvent)
    The problem is that there are no conical vials in the lab and we can't borrow any.
    We do have test tubes, however the covers for the test tubes leak and thus are a hazard to shake, due to the sample loss. I was thinking about using eppendorf tubes to do the extraction in since they don't leak and have a sharp tip which would work the same way a conical vial's sharp bottom.

Is this alright? I'm not sure if the solvents would react with the plastic or anything. I hope not as this is the only thing I can think of using, instead of leaky test tubes.

Thank you

edit: since most eppendorf tubes are made with polypropylene, it shouldn't react with the solvent

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

What solvents are you using? As long as the solvents are compatible with the tubes, they should be ok to use.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3

~christina~

Gold Member

might be...
    Octane, Hexane, Decane, Acetone, 1-Propanol, 2-Propanol, Ethanol, Toluene, Cyclohexane, Methanol, Heptane, Pentane, Butanol, methylene chloride.

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

6. Apr 11, 2009 #5

~christina~

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook