Extraction equipment

~christina~
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a question as to what container I can use to do the extract a drug from a solvent layer in. (via shaking with another solvent)
The problem is that there are no conical vials in the lab and we can't borrow any.
We do have test tubes, however the covers for the test tubes leak and thus are a hazard to shake, due to the sample loss. I was thinking about using eppendorf tubes to do the extraction in since they don't leak and have a sharp tip which would work the same way a conical vial's sharp bottom.

Is this alright? I'm not sure if the solvents would react with the plastic or anything. I hope not as this is the only thing I can think of using, instead of leaky test tubes.

Thank you

edit: since most eppendorf tubes are made with polypropylene, it shouldn't react with the solvent

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
What solvents are you using? As long as the solvents are compatible with the tubes, they should be ok to use.

~christina~
Gold Member
What solvents are you using? As long as the solvents are compatible with the tubes, they should be ok to use.
might be...
Octane, Hexane, Decane, Acetone, 1-Propanol, 2-Propanol, Ethanol, Toluene, Cyclohexane, Methanol, Heptane, Pentane, Butanol, methylene chloride.

~christina~
Gold Member