1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extraction Methods

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Recently i have been given an assignment about mining either copper or iron ore. I picked Iron Ore and i can't seem to find much information about which process to use for extracting Iron ore.

The question on the sheet: Explain/describe what type of mining and ore processing methods you recommend - justify your choice.

So far for this question I have chosen Open-cut mining, now i need help with the rest.

my text book says that smelting is often used in the process, and that processing consists of three parts: Concentration, Reduction and Purification.

p.s i am new to the site, so Hello :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2
    hello

so the main ore of iron is hematite Fe2O3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

hint:

concentration will serve to put the ores together
    reduction will serve to liberate the metal from its oxidised form as an ion (because most metals exist in compounds, and not as elements).
    purification will serve to separate the metal from other unwanted compounds such as sulphides, carbonates,...

proceed step by step and good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?