Solving sin2x=2sin^2x for 0\leq x\leq \pi: Find Extraneous Solution

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation sin2x=2sin^2x for 0\leq x\leq \pi using multiple methods, including the subsidiary technique. It is pointed out that the solution sinx - cosx = a multiple of sin(x - something) is a simpler and more accurate method than sinx = cosx tanx, which can lead to extraneous solutions. The conversation also includes playful exchanges with smileys and font alterations.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I attempted to solve [tex]sin2x=2sin^2x[/tex] for [tex]0\leq x\leq \pi[/tex]
as follows:

[tex]2sinxcosx=2sin^2x[/tex]
[tex]2sinx(sinx-cosx)=0[/tex]

Therefore,
[tex]2sinx=0[/tex] (1)
[tex]sinx-cosx=0[/tex] (2)

(2) -- [tex]cosxtanx-cosx=0[/tex]
[tex]cosx(tanx-1)=0[/tex]

Therefore,
[tex]cosx=0[/tex] (3)
[tex]tanx-1=0[/tex] (4)

Hence my solutions should be solving equations (1), (3) and (4).
i.e. [tex]sinx=0[/tex], [tex]x=0,\pi[/tex]
[tex]cosx=0[/tex], [tex]x=\pi/2[/tex]
[tex]tanx=1[/tex], [tex]x=\pi/4[/tex]

Hence, my solution set is [tex]x=0,\pi/4,\pi/2,\pi[/tex]

But testing the solutions (which I wouldn't have done so in test conditions) show that [tex]\pi/2[/tex] does not satisfy the original equation.
This means [tex]cosx\neq 0[/tex], but why?
I can't figure out where this extraneous solution came from, and which step I made was invalid to cause this. e.g. I never squared or multiplied the equation by anything etc.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Mentallic! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
Mentallic said:
[tex]sinx-cosx=0[/tex] (2)

(2) -- [tex]cosxtanx-cosx=0[/tex]
[tex]cosx(tanx-1)=0[/tex]

sinx = cosx tanx is not valid if x = π/2 :biggrin:

Instead, use sinx - cosx = a multiple of sin(x - something) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mentallic! :smile:
Hi tiny-tim! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(have a pi: π :wink:)
At first I was like... what?
Haha now I get it. Thanks for your pi :biggrin: would you also like an e with that pi? :tongue:

tiny-tim said:
sinx = cosx tanx is not valid if x = π/2 :biggrin:
Oh yes, the infamous 0/0=something trick. Foiled once again :blushing:

tiny-tim said:
Instead, use sinx - cosx = a multiple of sin(x - something) :wink:
I never really appreciated the beauty of (I think that method is called the subsidiary technique something or other..), so I've always used alternative solutions, such as squaring the equation and finally removing the extraneous solutions. But, I think that would have been much easier so you have a point there :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim, your help is greatly appreciated.

and your addictive smileys and font alterations are a curse hehehe :devil:

Mentallic said:
and your addictive smileys and font alterations are a curse hehehe :devil:

:rolleyes: o:)

1. What does "solving sin2x=2sin^2x" mean?

When solving an equation like this, we are trying to find the value(s) of x that make the equation true. In this case, we are looking for a value of x that satisfies the equation sin2x=2sin^2x, within the given range of 0 to π.

2. What is an extraneous solution?

An extraneous solution is a solution to an equation that does not actually satisfy the original equation. In the context of solving sin2x=2sin^2x, an extraneous solution would be a value of x that makes the equation false, but is mistakenly found during the solving process.

3. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the equation until you have an expression for x. Then, you can solve for x using standard algebraic techniques.

4. Why is the range limited to 0 to π?

The range of 0 to π is given because sin2x and 2sin^2x have specific values within this range. Outside of this range, the values of these expressions may not be equivalent, so the solution may not hold true.

5. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions within the given range. However, it is important to check for extraneous solutions and verify that each solution satisfies the original equation.