Extraordinary people - Iceman

• Thread starter PlasmaSphere
  • Start date
In summary, a man who has a fascination with the cold and a history of experiencing extreme cold was able to run a half marathon in freezing Lapland without any protective gear, and even demonstrated the ability to increase his body temperature through mental focus. This caught the attention of a scientist who tested his abilities and found them to be remarkable. This phenomenon is not unique, as Tibetan monks have been known to generate heat through meditation, as shown in a Harvard study. This ability is believed to be a result of tapping into a different reality through meditation and can have potential benefits for managing stress-related illnesses.
PlasmaSphere
This guy is amazing, he ran a half marathon in freezing lapland, on snow, wearing nothing more than shorts! he wasn't even wearing any shoes. How on Earth can he do that? I saw it on a discovery docu, and a scientist takes him into a laboratory to test his abilities to see if he is able to do what he claims. When he was lowered into a pool of nearly freezing water after seven minutes, when most people would nearly be dead from hyperthermia, he was actually able to increase his internal body temparature just by thinking in his mind of generating heat. The scientist was amazed, and said that it would probably be safe for him to attempt his half marathon.

some info on him here; http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?news=15740

When he was younger he nearly died in the cold before he was rescued and taken to hospital, and he says ever since then he has been fascinated with the cold, and takes pleasure in experiencing it. i uploaded a bit of it;

I have heard of tibetan monks having the ability to generate heat with their mind, and i heard that one monk stayed in near freezing water for an entire night. I'm not sure how true that part is, but i'll try to find the story.

What do you think he has control over in his body to be able to do this? Is the mechanism that controls our temparature susceptable to our own control if we can become aware of it?

Actually, what is the mechanism controls our temparature in the first place? i don't even really know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found some info on tibettan monks doing this from a harvard study on their abilities. I have not found the monk that did it for an entire night, but I'm sure its somewhere online.

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html [Broken]
HARVARD GAZETTE ARCHIVES

Meditation changes temperatures:
Mind controls body in extreme experiments
By William J. Cromie
Gazette Staff

In a monastery in northern India, thinly clad Tibetan monks sat quietly in a room where the temperature was a chilly 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a yoga technique known as g Tum-mo, they entered a state of deep meditation. Other monks soaked 3-by-6-foot sheets in cold water (49 degrees) and placed them over the meditators' shoulders. For untrained people, such frigid wrappings would produce uncontrolled shivering.

If body temperatures continue to drop under these conditions, death can result. But it was not long before steam began rising from the sheets. As a result of body heat produced by the monks during meditation, the sheets dried in about an hour.

Attendants removed the sheets, then covered the meditators with a second chilled, wet wrapping. Each monk was required to dry three sheets over a period of several hours.

Why would anyone do this? Herbert Benson, who has been studying g Tum-mo for 20 years, answers that "Buddhists feel the reality we live in is not the ultimate one. There's another reality we can tap into that's unaffected by our emotions, by our everyday world. Buddhists believe this state of mind can be achieved by doing good for others and by meditation. The heat they generate during the process is just a by-product of g Tum-mo meditation."

Benson is an associate professor of medicine at the Harvard Medical School and president of the Mind/Body Medical Institute at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. He firmly believes that studying advanced forms of meditation "can uncover capacities that will help us to better treat stress-related illnesses."

Last edited by a moderator:

I find this individual's ability to withstand extreme cold and increase his internal body temperature through mental focus to be truly extraordinary. It is clear that he has a unique control over his body's temperature regulation mechanism, which is known as thermoregulation.

Thermoregulation is a complex process that involves the brain, nervous system, and various organs and tissues in the body. The hypothalamus, a small area in the brain, acts as the body's thermostat and receives signals from temperature sensors in the skin and internal organs. These signals help the body maintain a stable internal temperature, even in changing external conditions.

In most people, the hypothalamus responds to cold temperatures by triggering shivering and vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) to conserve heat. In contrast, when exposed to heat, the hypothalamus triggers sweating and vasodilation (widening of blood vessels) to release heat from the body. However, it is possible that through intense training and focus, this individual has learned to override these automatic responses and directly control his body's temperature regulation.

While the exact mechanism behind this individual's ability is not fully understood, it is possible that he has developed a heightened awareness and control over his autonomic nervous system, which controls involuntary bodily functions such as heart rate, breathing, and temperature regulation. Some studies have shown that individuals who practice meditation and other forms of mental focus can have greater control over their autonomic functions.

However, it is important to note that not everyone may possess the same level of control over their body's temperature regulation. Each individual's physiology and genetic makeup may play a role in their ability to withstand extreme temperatures. Additionally, it is important to approach such extreme feats with caution and under the supervision of trained professionals, as prolonged exposure to extreme cold can still be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

In conclusion, the Iceman's ability to withstand extreme cold and increase his internal body temperature through mental focus is a remarkable example of the human body's adaptability and potential. Further research and exploration of this individual's abilities may provide valuable insights into the limits and capabilities of human physiology.

1. Who is the Iceman and what makes him extraordinary?

The Iceman, also known as Ötzi, is a mummified human body that was discovered in the Alps in 1991. He is believed to have lived around 3,300 BCE and is considered extraordinary due to his remarkably well-preserved state and the insights he provides into ancient human life.

2. How was the Iceman preserved for thousands of years?

The Iceman was preserved by a combination of natural mummification and being frozen in ice. The cold temperatures and lack of oxygen in the glacier where he was found prevented the growth of bacteria and decomposition of his body.

3. What have scientists learned from studying the Iceman?

Scientists have learned a great deal about the Iceman's health, lifestyle, and the world he lived in through various studies and analyses. They have discovered his diet, the diseases he suffered from, his genetic makeup, and even the tools and clothing he used.

4. How has technology advanced our understanding of the Iceman?

Advancements in technology, such as DNA analysis and radiocarbon dating, have greatly enhanced our understanding of the Iceman. These techniques have allowed scientists to determine his age, health, and even the people he was related to.

5. What are the ethical considerations when studying the Iceman?

There are various ethical considerations when studying the Iceman, including respecting his remains and cultural beliefs, as well as using non-invasive methods of research. Additionally, there have been debates about whether his body should be returned to his descendants or displayed for public viewing.