Extrasolar Moons: Could There Be Earth-Sized Worlds Around Gas Giants?

• Thread starter ThomasEdison
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moons
In summary: Although there are some interesting possibilities for life on extra-solar moons, it is still just a hypothesis at this point.
ThomasEdison
I know that they cannot currently be detected but according to the amount and variety of moons within our own Solar System I would imagine that other solar systems must have a huge number of them.

Although I am not biologist or astronomer (or a scientist whatsoever) it seems fairly obvious to me that there is far greater chance for Alien life to exist on a moon of a large gas giant instead of a rocky world because of the sheer number and variety of them. Also when Io showed volcanism from Jupitor (although that moon is very hot) this shows promise to me for different reasons for volcanism as well as the sheer amount of moons with atmosphere and water.

So I wonder this:
Is there any reason that extrasolar moons have to be smaller than the Earth?

Could it be possible for an extra solar Gas Giant to have several sattelites of approximate size and composition to the Earth; instead of the Earthlike bodies Astronomers are searching for orbiting around the Star?

Wouldn't each Gas giant have its own "Goldilocks Zone" around it?

Isn't a view that the Goldilock's Zone (where liquid water is) overly narrow if it only concerns the Star in a solar system?

Could a Gas Giant beyond a star's Goldilocks zone have one around itself?

What about the electromagnetic Field around Gas giants? Can this field protect the moons in the manner that the Earth's Electromagnetic field protects us?

Here is also maybe an unrelated question:
If Earth's gravity has to do mostly with Earth's mass what about planets or moons of a different composition than our rocky one altogether?

Could a planet/moon be made of material less dense but be larger but retain a similar gravity to Earth's even though it was larger? Is the opposite true also? (or does matter compact down anyhow rendering this idea moot)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The main problem for Gas Giants having moons or planets supporting life is their age. Gas giants tend to have relatively short lifetimes, so chances of life evolving in such a system are small.

Mathman, that puzzles me. Isn't Jupiter the same age as the earth?

...confusing giant planets with giant stars...?

No but if a star is an energy source for life so is a gas giant with its magnetic field. Also some are hot too.

Vanadium 50 said:
Mathman, that puzzles me. Isn't Jupiter the same age as the earth?
You are correct - I was thinking of gas giant stars. Gas giant planets are mostly hydrogen, so supporting life seems very unlikely.

At this point, extra-solar moons have no empirical evidence. We have no reason to suspect that our solar system is somehow unique and is the only such system with planets with moons; however, we just don't have the evidence for extra-solar moons at this point.

Another point is that since Earth is the only known planet w/ life and it is NOT a moon, this biases us to look for Earth-like planets - the other bias being that we can't even see Earth-sized objects yet (I think the smallest planet we've found is something like 6 times Earth's mass or so? A super-Earth so to speak), let along moons.

The problem with any question involving extra-terrestrial life is that we only have 1 sample point, and 1 sample point does not make a data set...

1. What are extrasolar moons?

Extrasolar moons, also known as exomoons, are natural satellites that orbit planets outside of our solar system. They are similar to the moons in our own solar system, but they orbit planets in other star systems.

2. How are extrasolar moons discovered?

Extrasolar moons are typically discovered using the transit method, which involves observing the slight dimming of a star's brightness as an orbiting moon passes in front of it. This method has also been used to confirm the existence of several exomoons.

3. Could there be earth-sized worlds around gas giants?

Yes, it is possible for earth-sized worlds to exist around gas giants. In fact, there have been several exomoons discovered that are similar in size to Earth. These moons are known as super-Earths and they could potentially have conditions suitable for life.

4. What role do gas giants play in the formation of exomoons?

Gas giants play a crucial role in the formation of exomoons. The strong gravitational pull of gas giants can capture small objects, such as asteroids and comets, and these objects can eventually form into moons. Gas giants can also cause tidal forces that can shape and maintain the orbits of their moons.

5. Are there any confirmed exomoons around gas giants?

Yes, there have been several confirmed exomoons around gas giants. Some notable examples include Kepler-1625b-i, which is about the size of Neptune and orbits a gas giant in the constellation Cygnus, and WASP-189b, a hot Jupiter that has a possible exomoon orbiting it.