Extrasolar Planets: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter kmoukiss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between observing in different infrared wavelengths for extrasolar planets and how it can affect our understanding of their atmospheres. The presence of water and CO on these planets also impacts their potential for survival, but water alone does not necessarily imply habitability. There is no single formula for determining the temperature of an extrasolar planet, as it depends on various factors such as distance from the star and composition.
kmoukiss
Hi everyone !

I am doing a report of some papers on extrasolar planets and I would like to clarify some points!
1) What is the difference between oberving in the IR at 4microns or 24microns ? what do you get in difference in observation ?

2)how can a measure of flux decrement can affect our understanding of the atmosphere of the planet ?

and finally 3) if water and CO are being revealed, how does this affect the survival prospects of extrasolar planets ?

I hope you will be able to help me!
Thanks to all !

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1) I'm not too sure about this.
2) Well, if you measure the flux decrement in infrared when the planet passes behind its star, it's possible to deduce how much infrared is coming from the planet itself. From this, you can calculate the planet's temperature and determine what can or cannot exist in the atmosphere.
3) I think this is fairly obvious. CO is toxic; water is vital for just about all life on Earth.

kmoukiss said:
Hi everyone !

I am doing a report of some papers on extrasolar planets and I would like to clarify some points!
1) What is the difference between oberving in the IR at 4microns or 24microns ? what do you get in difference in observation ?

2)how can a measure of flux decrement can affect our understanding of the atmosphere of the planet ?

and finally 3) if water and CO are being revealed, how does this affect the survival prospects of extrasolar planets ?

I hope you will be able to help me!
Thanks to all !

Hi
I wonder if you can help me, I want the formula or the mathematical equation that calculate the temperature of Extrasolar plantes.

thanks

kmoukiss said:

The difference between observing in 4 or 24 microns is what elements are you detecting. Or what you can infer about the composition of the atmosphere. You build a synthetic spectra varying the composition of the possible atmosphere and than you compare with the observed spectra. Actually it is easier to use photometry instead of spectroscopy, but anyway, it is basically this. And also maybe your equipment has a better resolution in one of these IR regions.
kmoukiss said:

It is important to note that water alone does not imply that the planet is habitated.

rasha astro said:
Hi
I wonder if you can help me, I want the formula or the mathematical equation that calculate the temperature of Extrasolar plantes.
thanks

I think it is not as simple as it could be. But one way to have an idea about the temperature of a STAR is using the Wien's law. But you can do this, because roughly you can consider a star as a blackbody.
[tex]
{\nu}_{max} \approx 5.879 \times 10^{10} (Hz/T).T
[/tex]

For a planet I am afraid it is completely incorrect to use this formula. You must have a model about the atmosphere of the planet, also you must consider the distance from the star, and the star's flux of energy. There is not a specific formula where you can calculate the temperature of the planet. You must consider it's composition.
You can take a look in this paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.1347

Hello, thank you for your questions on extrasolar planets. I am happy to help clarify some points for you.

1) The difference between observing in the IR at 4 microns and 24 microns is the wavelength of light being observed. In general, the longer the wavelength, the cooler the object being observed. So, observing at 24 microns would give us information about cooler objects compared to observing at 4 microns. This can be useful in studying the atmospheres of extrasolar planets, as different molecules emit light at different wavelengths, allowing us to detect their presence.

2) A measure of flux decrement, which is a decrease in the amount of light we receive from a planet, can affect our understanding of the atmosphere by indicating the presence of certain molecules. For example, if there is a decrease in light at a specific wavelength, it could mean that a certain molecule is absorbing that wavelength of light. This can give us information about the composition of the planet's atmosphere.

3) The presence of water and CO in the atmosphere of an extrasolar planet can affect its survival prospects in a few ways. Firstly, the presence of water can indicate the potential for habitability, as it is a crucial component for life as we know it. However, too much water could lead to a runaway greenhouse effect, making the planet inhabitable. As for CO, it is a greenhouse gas that can contribute to warming the planet's atmosphere. The amount of CO present can affect the planet's temperature and potentially make it more or less habitable.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions. Keep up the good work on your report!

1. What are extrasolar planets?

Extrasolar planets, also known as exoplanets, are planets that orbit stars other than our Sun. They are located outside of our solar system and can vary in size, composition, and distance from their host star.

2. How do scientists discover extrasolar planets?

There are several methods that scientists use to discover extrasolar planets. The most common method is the transit method, where scientists observe a slight dip in a star's brightness as a planet passes in front of it. Other methods include radial velocity, where scientists measure the wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of a planet, and direct imaging, where telescopes capture images of the planet itself.

3. Can extrasolar planets support life?

It is possible for extrasolar planets to support life, but it is currently unknown if any of the discovered exoplanets have the necessary conditions for life to exist. Scientists look for planets in the habitable zone of their star, where temperatures are suitable for liquid water to exist on the surface. However, other factors such as a planet's atmosphere and composition also play a role in determining its habitability.

4. How many extrasolar planets have been discovered?

As of 2021, over 4,000 extrasolar planets have been confirmed and thousands more are awaiting confirmation. With the advancements in technology and methods, the number of discoveries is expected to continue to increase.

5. Why do we study extrasolar planets?

Studying extrasolar planets allows us to expand our understanding of the universe and explore the possibilities of life beyond our solar system. It also helps us better understand the formation and evolution of planets, and potentially discover new technologies and resources that could benefit humanity in the future.