Thanks for the interesting article.

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, it has been proposed that there may have once been an extra giant planet in our solar system, or possibly two, accompanying Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus. This theory is based on evidence of free-floating worlds in interstellar space and an article from the Southwest Research Institute. The possible existence of these planets raises questions about where they went and the potential for other rogue planets in the galaxy. Recent studies suggest that a large planet may have been ejected from the solar system, which could have triggered the late heavy bombardment period. Further research is needed to determine when and how these planets may have departed.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Extra Giant Planet May Have Dwelled in Our Solar System
http://www.space.com/13584-extra-giant-planet-solar-system.html

Within our solar system, an extra giant planet, or possibly two, might once have accompanied Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus.

. . . .
If that were the case, then where did they go?!

The article also states that "a large number of free-floating worlds have recently been discovered in interstellar space, . . . ". I know that extrasolar planets have been detected, but around other stars, and there are small objects beyound Neptune and Pluto, but free planets traveling among the stars?!

From SwRI - http://swri.org/9what/releases/2011/giant-planet.htm

http://Earth'sky.org/space/was-a-fifth-gas-giant-ejected-from-our-solar-system

An article is supposed to be published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters this month, but I haven't found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Google Scholar has indexed one article with that title and a followup citing it. I think this is the one you are looking for. ApJL would have been indexed quite quickly so presumably they have yet to publish the article ... "this month" has a wee ways to go yet :)

As for where the planets went ... what's wrong with "away"?

Where to look would depend on the details of how and when they got ejected whether originating from the young solar system or just passing through.

afaik: there have been no direct observations of rogue or orphan planets - evidence seems to be indirect as in:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0701474
(Go get the pdf - discusses jovian rogue planets dominating inner-halo galaxy mass densities.)

If you are thinking this is a highly speculative field - I think you are right.
But that is the fun of cosmology and astrophysics.

Some early models of the solar system have dozens of planets, perhaps over a 100, forming around the Sun. These early planets collided and grew larger, were torn to bits (see asteroid belt), *were ejected out of the solar system by gravitational interactions with the other planets, or survived to present day. It is very likely that there are billions of interstellar wanderers lurking in the galaxy virtually undetectable. I am completely unaware of any actual discoveries of any such planets, but I have no doubt they exist. They may even harbor life deep under frozen oceans or deep within the crust closer to the core. Personally, I'm more worried about wandering black holes, but that's just me.*

http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3544

This study was published in Nature earlier this year. They looked towards the galactic center and studied microlensing events. Visual studies of the area seem to suggest that many of the ~Jupiter mass objects spotted are not bound to any object.

A large planet being ejected from the primordial solar system is also thought to be a possible trigger for the late heavy bombardment period.

Two thoughts/questions come time mind:

1) When did such a large planet depart?

2) What was the trajectory? Was it more or less coplanar with the ecliptic?

1. What are extrasolar rogue planets?

Extrasolar rogue planets, also known as interstellar or free-floating planets, are planets that do not orbit around a star. They are not bound to any particular solar system and instead wander through the galaxy freely.

2. How are extrasolar rogue planets different from regular planets?

Extrasolar rogue planets do not have a parent star, so they do not receive any light or heat from a star. They also do not follow the typical orbit and formation patterns seen in regular planets.

3. How are extrasolar rogue planets formed?

There are a few theories on how extrasolar rogue planets are formed. One theory suggests that they are formed in the same way as regular planets, through the accretion of gas and dust in a protoplanetary disk. However, they are ejected from their parent star's gravitational pull during the early stages of formation. Another theory suggests that they are formed through the collapse of interstellar gas clouds, similar to the formation of stars.

4. Can extrasolar rogue planets support life?

It is currently unknown if extrasolar rogue planets can support life. Since they do not have a source of light or heat, it is unlikely that they can support life as we know it. However, there is a possibility that they could have their own internal heat source, such as radioactive decay, that could potentially support some form of microbial life.

5. How do scientists detect extrasolar rogue planets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to detect extrasolar rogue planets, including direct imaging, gravitational microlensing, and analyzing the effects of a planet's gravitational pull on nearby stars. These methods are often more challenging than detecting regular planets, as there is no light or heat emitted from the planet itself.