Extraterrestrial Object Orbits

In summary, an extraterrestrial object like Oumuamua but say volume 750 E+9 (=750,000,000,000 I think but not sure of density although not solid rock) that takes orbit near Space to Earth does not disturb the balance of local orbits or operation of satellites. It would require energy to maintain it's orbit, but would not require energy to enter orbit.
happyhacker
TL;DR Summary
Extraterrestrial object takes up orbit.
I am thinking about an extraterrestrial object like Oumuamua but say volume 750 E+9 (=750,000,000,000 I think but not sure of density although not solid rock) that takes orbit near Space to Earth.

1. Would the magnetic field of this object disturb the balance of local orbits or operation of Satellites?
2. Would it require it's own energy to maintain such an orbit?

Probably left out some factors here so maybe need advice.

Thank You.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
happyhacker said:
I am thinking about an extraterrestrial object like Oumuamua but say volume 750 E+9 (=750,000,000,000 I think but not sure of density although not solid rock) that takes orbit near Space to Earth.
You need to specify units. 750 billion what? Liters? Cubic meters? Cubic furlongs?
happyhacker said:
1. Would the magnetic field of this object disturb the balance of local orbits or operation of Satellites?
What makes you think Oumuamua has a magnetic field?

Its gravity might be a problem but it depends where it is.
happyhacker said:
2. Would it require it's own energy to maintain such an orbit?
It would require energy to enter orbit because it was going way too fast for Earth orbit. But it would not require energy to maintain it once it was in, any more than the moon needs a rocket. Unless it was so low it was in the atmosphere.

What's the point of these questions? They're so general it's hard to give meaningful answers.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Apologies, when I wrote 'like Oumuamua' I did not mean Oumuamua just referring to it's general shape. I should also have put metres for the volume. My object is in place so it's approach is not a factor. So if that does not clarify I will withdraw the question. Thanks for the input so far.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/us/nasa-asteroid-circles-earth

is an article about a medium sized object ~90m in the largest direction. It is still out there in a stable orbit. It does not affect satellites. It is not magnetic and cannot be made to generate one.

Magnetic fields like the Earth has are the result of activity in the core, the asteroid you posit is too small:
https://web.ua.es/docivis/magnet/Earth's_magnetic_field2.html

The very short answers to your questions are:
1. no
2. no

Read the links first if you are still confused. If you really like your question - consider reading a book :biggrin: ::

Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth by Avi Loeb​

Likes BvU and russ_watters
happyhacker said:
Summary:: Extraterrestrial object takes up orbit.

that takes orbit near Space to Earth.
Without an engine of some sort, the object would need to interact with at least one other object in the Solar System in order to lose the vast amount of solar orbital Energy. We are familiar enough with slingshot orbits giving us 'free' energy for distant space missions. The same concept applies in reverse to bring orbits closer than the Sun. (See the Parker Mission, using Venus, to bring its orbit nearer to the Sun)
The actual numbers count here and I believe that a very high mass object (Jupiter?) would be essential for a random guest object to end up in a low eccentricity Solar orbit. It's no wonder such objects are rare.

Likes BvU
Many thanks. Read the references. Clear now.

Likes BvU

1. What is an extraterrestrial object orbit?

An extraterrestrial object orbit refers to the path or trajectory that an object from outside of Earth's atmosphere takes as it travels around a celestial body, such as a planet or star.

2. How do scientists track extraterrestrial object orbits?

Scientists use a variety of methods to track extraterrestrial object orbits, including ground-based telescopes, radar systems, and spacecraft missions. They also use mathematical calculations and simulations to predict the orbits of these objects.

3. What types of extraterrestrial objects have known orbits?

Some common types of extraterrestrial objects with known orbits include planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and artificial satellites. However, there may be other types of objects that have yet to be discovered or have unpredictable orbits.

4. How do extraterrestrial object orbits affect Earth?

Depending on the size and proximity of the extraterrestrial object, its orbit can have various effects on Earth. For example, the gravitational pull of the Moon affects the tides on Earth, while larger objects could potentially pose a threat of impact.

5. Can extraterrestrial objects have multiple orbits?

Yes, extraterrestrial objects can have multiple orbits. For example, a planet may have multiple moons with their own unique orbits around the planet, and some asteroids have been observed with multiple orbits around the Sun.